Vertical Sleeve Surgery and COPD -Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

Terri M.
on 2/21/15 3:04 am - Minneapolis

Hi All !! My name is Terri and I am about to start this Journey to live. I have my first consultation on March 10th 2015 and so far, I am very excited, even knowing the up & downs through my research. I have been looking through the forums trying to find any one who has had surgery with COPD. I smoked for 45 years, and quit 27 months ago, I have COPD (chronic emphysema and bronchitis)  , Sleep Apnea, Hypothyroid, High Blood Pressure, and I'm borderline diabetic. My doctor is not really sure how bad my COPD is because of my weight (345 lbs) I have gained 100 lbs since I stopped smoking.Is there anyone in here who Has this Diagnosis?

It is the only thing that scares me about have the Surgery. Help??

Hislady
on 2/21/15 12:45 pm - Vancouver, WA

I have COPD but I had a lap band and the extra weight does make it much more difficult to breath. It kind of depends on how severe your COPD is as to whether the surgeon feels comfortable doing surgery in someone with impaired lungs because every time you are put under anesthesia it puts a lot of stress on your lungs and can make it harder for you to breath. So if your COPD is mild he may have no problem because the benefits would be better than staying overweight. If it is severe like mine he may refuse or want to keep you in the hospital longer than usual to make sure. I had my band removed a year ago and had no problems, it was a short surgery and was neccesary. I'm on several meds and oxygen for the COPD so I'm probably in worse shape than you are. It should be a fairly short surgery so I would expect it would go pretty smooth for you, best of luck to you!

Terri M.
on 2/21/15 1:05 pm - Minneapolis

Thanks Hislady! I am not having lap band, but the Vertical Sleeve. I have lung function in the high 80's most of the time, I'm not on oxygen, but I do take 2 medicals.  I and my pulmonologist have no idea how severe it is, my weight makes it hard to diagnose. The Vertical Sleeve surgery takes longer. I guess it is a rarity here to have COPD.   Thanks for getting back to me.

MsBatt
on 2/23/15 4:10 am

My mom has COPD. She weighs 187, and the thing her pulmonologist ALWAYS tells her is to lose weight. Do you use a C-pap for you sleep apnea?

Given your weight and the fact that you're borderline diabetic you really should also research the complete Duodenal Switch before you actually have surgery.

Terri M.
on 2/23/15 10:49 am - Minneapolis

Thank you MsBatt,

I'm trying to determine is if the Sleeve Surgery is more dangerous when one has COPD, and if anyone with it, has had either the Sleeve or by-pass.. I don't know what the " Duodenal Switch before surgery"means(?).  I know my weight is complicating my COPD. believe me. I cannot find anything online regarding COPD & surgery.

I was diagnosed with sleep Apnea in 2006 and I have used a CPAP ever since.  

charlotte68
on 8/5/16 12:44 pm
On February 21, 2015 at 11:04 AM Pacific Time, Terri M. wrote:

Hi All !! My name is Terri and I am about to start this Journey to live. I have my first consultation on March 10th 2015 and so far, I am very excited, even knowing the up & downs through my research. I have been looking through the forums trying to find any one who has had surgery with COPD. I smoked for 45 years, and quit 27 months ago, I have COPD (chronic emphysema and bronchitis)  , Sleep Apnea, Hypothyroid, High Blood Pressure, and I'm borderline diabetic. My doctor is not really sure how bad my COPD is because of my weight (345 lbs) I have gained 100 lbs since I stopped smoking.Is there anyone in here who Has this Diagnosis?

It is the only thing that scares me about have the Surgery. Help??

Hi terri  I see your surgery was scheduled for 2/15.  Did u have it? if so I would like to know how it worked out with COPD and rather or not u had a hard time breathing. I am having the sleeve on august 24 2016. I stopped smoking august 21 2015.  I got nervous and started back smoking for the month of july 2016[HOW DUMB CAN U GET] now they gave me two weeks to quit or no surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics