And so it begins

simplestmind
on 2/19/15 10:34 pm

I had my very first appointment/consultation with the surgeons team. I met with a dietician, nutritionist, the people who take care of the insurance and the resident (since I am on medicaid/medicare I have to go to the surgery clinic and meet with a resident). Did anyone else have to do a psychological evaluation before being completely approved for the surgery. I have to lose 10 pounds and wait 6 months as well as following up monthly for weigh in's and meet with a psychologist twice.

Here is my concern. I have a history of Depression, agoraphobia and anxiety. I also have Aspergers Syndrome. I am worried I will not be taken seriously due to my aspergers. Can anyone give any insight into the psych eval part?

Rachel M.
on 2/19/15 10:57 pm
VSG on 12/31/14

I have depression and anxiety and I had to have a psych eval. (requirement on both my ins. and weight program) For me, it was to make sure I was both mentally prepared and did not have unrealistic goals for surgery. My suggestion is be open and honest, trust me, it will help you in the long run! :) I hope this helps and if you have further questions don't hesitate to ask!

{ HW:275 | CW:166.6 | GW:145 | TL:108.4 }    

VSG on 12/31/2014 with Dr. John Kelly at UMASS Memorial.   

Melanielw
on 2/20/15 12:21 am
VSG on 01/21/15

Everything they are making you do sounds about right. I did not have to wait 6 months, but then again I was self pay. I did meet with a psychologist and I was assured she was just there to talk and make sure my expectations were what they were supposed to be. Good Luck!

GooseGirl
on 2/20/15 1:46 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

These steps all sound normal to me. I agree that being open and honest about your history will pay off in the long run. The idea that the psych doctor might not take you seriously because of your Aspergers makes my blood boil. Sorry, my youngest is also an Aspie and that just raises all the mama bear instincts in me. My surgeon had multiple psych doctors that he recommended and I think that I could have used others not on his list too. If you don't get a good vibe from the first one then maybe you could find another one. 

My psych eval was really primarily focused on my eating habits, expectations from surgery and life post surgery. The focus was really about if i was ready for this surgery not any other issues that I might deal with on a regular basis. I truly think you will be ok! Congratulations on starting the process. That's a big step.

simplestmind
on 2/20/15 1:50 am

Thank you everyone for the reassurance. I suppose I am obsessing and over thinking the psych appointment. I really appreciate your thoughts.

Most Active
Recent Topics