What to say sometimes???

2ndtimesacharm
on 2/22/15 8:53 am

I am so upset at people I work with always saying your going to waste away to nothing  soon, or we won't be able to find you your wasting away to nothing? You look tired? I've had more energy than I've had in years! Tired I think not??  

I weigh 171! Down from 256 What are they going to say when I weigh 145/150.

Just hard to have people tell you your too skinny already when your not even finished yet

and no it's not being said in a positive manner at all

i have not hidden my surgery and now I'm wondering if I should have! 

Just very frustrating that's all 

anyone else experience this!!?? 

Stacy_WLS
on 2/22/15 8:59 am

That is rough.  Have you thought about letting them know that what they are saying is bothering you?  Could you say something along the line of "I've been working really hard to get my health back and your comments have been coming off as hurtful.  I am working with my doctor and do not need your advice about my health".  

I know that might be hard to say, but they probably will just keep coming until you confront it.  

Good luck!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

spuddzy
on 2/22/15 9:05 am - NY

Sometimes people can be so annoying...but I know from my own experiences ..those that are jealous are the ones with the biggest mouths..genuine friends also have something sweet and nice to say..my advice is to say "I love the way I look and feel,it's amazing...". 

spuddzy

greensleeved
on 2/22/15 9:20 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

I usually say something like, "Still have a way to go before my doctor says I am as healthy as I can be." I didn't tell my coworkers that I had surgery but I told everyone else in my life; however, the coworkers are the only ones who say things like that (i.e. - "You're going to dry up and blow away").

It's very odd how people feel compelled to comment on something so personal. I think it's the comparison of the old fat image to the new you. People who meet us now would never think we're wasting away. They'd just think we're healthy. But if someone has had an image of you for a long time and then the reality changes, the image doesn't always change with it. It's a pain, but YOU know you are doing the right thing and that's all that matters. It may take a while but they'll give it up eventually.

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

grayC
on 2/22/15 9:30 am
VSG on 05/01/13

Wheather you said something or not, people are going to talk or speculate..

they are not used to see you as thin as you are and it IS a shock to them..

believe me this fades...I got that quite a bit before I was done, 

what I eventually did rather than explain myself.. Was say YUP! I'm done!

just easier....

Belle Ink
on 2/23/15 12:36 am

You may just have to be blunt a few times, to get your point across.

My coworkers know and are very supportive, I have two in particular that call me "The Incredible Shrinking Woman" and I LOVE it. However, I am still big and have a ways to go. I am a size 22 down from a 30. I have lost 97 pounds as of this morning.

Mistress of mystery, I am a paradox.

Y D.
on 2/23/15 12:44 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

oh gosh that's terrible. I would just let them know you don't feel comfortable having comments made about your body at work.

its inappropriate! especially if its in an unkind manner.

Tracy D.
on 2/23/15 12:45 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I always got the "jeesh, when are you going to be done?" or "every time I see you, you keep getting smaller".   I had a variety of come-backs:  

- I am done - you just think I'm losing because I'm finally wearing clothes that FIT!  (insert laughter) 

- Really?  Because I haven't lost an ounce since last Christmas (I used this one a LOT!)  

- I'll stop when my doctor tells me to stop.  In the meantime, please don't feel like you need to comment on my weight or size every time you see me.  It's kinda rude.  (you have to say this one with a little smile on your face)

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Samantha F.
on 2/23/15 12:54 am - Coden, AL
RNY on 06/09/14

Just remember that people are used to seeing a larger you and they have a hard time getting their heads around how much smaller you are. I get the dry up and blow away comments and turn sideways and I won't be able to see you all of the time. It embarrasses me because for years I tried to fly under the radar and now people notice me. But they mean well and are really trying to be encouraging so I am learning to enjoy it. I usually kinda shake my hips and say ,"oh no I'm not gonna blow away just yet. And then say something like, "I have almost lost BOTH Olsen twins!" Everyone laughs and we all go on with our lives.

tstowe
on 2/23/15 2:43 am

I've got it easier being a guy... and a little over six feet tall.

To the wasting away... I just tell them I'm over 220 pounds. Not exactly wasting away.

Or just, "I'm fine."

Most Active
Recent Topics