Not sure what to do

Uvawahoo93
on 2/21/15 11:46 pm

I have been approved and want to schedule my surgery for mid-April. The problem is my mother (who I live with) has just been released from the hospital and is now in Rehab- she had to flu that went into Pneumonia- she is now just getting around without being winded or getting atrial fibrillation.

How much help will I need post-operatively? The first few days and the first few weeks? I am taking 2 weeks off work to recover. If my mother isn't home yet can I go up and down stairs to put my daughter to bed? Cook for her? Get her ready for school? Fend for myself during the daytime? My mom insists she needs to be there for these things and I don't know if I will have any restrictions. I know my daughter will help me out, but she is only 8! It is possible my Mother will be fine by then, but my sister (who doesn't know I am doing this yet) does not feel my mom will be fine for awhile.

If I cannot do all of this I may have to put the surgery off until June (due to 1st communions, college graduations and holidays). We are having a family reunion here July 4th weekend. I am worried there isn't going to be any good time now. I would like to do it before Aug 1st- moving into a new house AND my deductible starts over again!

What have been your experiences? Is this possible to do myself?

Thanks!

Mary Gee
on 2/22/15 12:20 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
I had no problems post-op ..... Very minor discomfort. Was driving the next day and doing regular daily activities .. But no lifting. Was a bit tired for AF few days and napped. Had someone with me, but did not need assistance. Just prepare ahead of time. Clean house, do laundry, freeze some meals for yqor daughter and have your supplies ready ... Then you should be all set

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Shel25
on 2/22/15 1:10 am

I agree with Mary on everything! I also had a good post op.  During the day, I didn't have anyone with me and I had no trouble handling routine tasks including driving.  My own MIL was released about 4 weeks ago from nursing home after a hospitalization for flu/pneumonia. I don't assume that she is the same as your mom but she is doing very well now.  I hope your mom does well, too.  But, having frozen meals ready to go, etc, is great advise. 

~Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

Valerie G.
on 2/22/15 12:23 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Many people go through recovery on their own.  You will at least need someone to help with driving until you are off of pain meds, and you will have an 8lb weight limit for 8 weeks for lifting/pulling/pushing.  Many just sleep in a recliner until they can get in and out of bed on their own.

This can be a wonderful opportunity for your daughter to discover her own self-reliance, too.  My son was 11 when I had the DS.  I kept things very vague with him beforehand so he had no angst or worry over me.  I told him I would be very tired and sore for a few weeks and expected him to step up and help with the simple chores.  He really impressed the heck out of me with what he took on, and I think it gave himself a huge boost of confidence, too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Uvawahoo93
on 2/22/15 5:23 am

Thank you so much! I appreciate the responses. I had back surgery over a year ago and this doesn't sound like it would be bad like that was! I am feeling more optimistic now that I CAN do it!!!

GoBlueGirl1998
on 2/22/15 5:48 am - MI

I had surgery back in Oct, I took.take care of my parents (mom has alzheimers & my Dad was physically unable to get around). I was in the hospital over night. I had abosoluetly no issues taking care of them & myself when returning home. I had pre made some dinner for my parents & I made sure the house was spotless and the fridge was stocked before hand. I had surgery on a Friday & drove myself & my mom to church that Sunday. Its very possible for you to be able to manage! After surgery make sure you walk, sip, walk, sip & follow directions!!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

ShrinkingViolet2013
on 2/22/15 9:30 am

Lots of good luck with everything!  You can absolutely do stairs - the more movement, the better for you.  The biggest limit will be on lifting.  You may be sleepy those first couple of days, but if you are off, that also should not be a problem.  I'd suggest prepping meals in advance.

StephK10
on 2/22/15 9:07 pm

Congratulations with your approval!  

Like everyone else's replies, I had no real trouble.  I was tired, yes.  But I didn't need assistance.  My mother stayed with me, but just to keep me company.  I was ready for her to leave a few days out. :)

Also, off topic... I'm a UVA wahoo as well.  PM me if you want to chat!

Stephanie

Height: 5'7" HighW: 266 SSW: 253 Surgery date: 11/17/14 CW 165.4

(FIRST GOAL OF 170 REACHED 6/30/15)  NEW GOAL: 159 (BMI of "normal")

M1: 24 M2: 15 M3: 11  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8 M7: 5 M8: 3 M9: 3

Most Active
Recent Topics