The parrot is very subdued today.

psychoticparrot
on 2/21/15 8:07 am

Saw my surgeon last Tuesday, and he was not at all pleased. I'm finding it difficult to suck in the 80g of protein he insists on. Most days I'm lucky to get in 40. Also not getting in enough water and calories. He warned me that hair and muscle loss will occur if I don't take in what I should -- 80g protein, 64 oz. liquid, and 1000 calories. He didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.

But the problem is that I'm queasy much of the time. I have to practically choke everything down, and when I try to pu**** even a little, I throw up. Doesn't matter, says the surgeon. Get that protein in. I guess if it's down the hatch for a few minutes before coming back up, it counts. Doesn't make much sense to me.

The other problem -- many here have talked about some of their favorite foods having an off-taste and off-smell. To me, everything stinks -- coffee, fresh air, the protein shakes (especially the protein shakes). Everything smells like burnt plastic and rancid bacon. Even the computer. It's a huge reason I'm finding it so difficult to eat and drink anything. I have to gag everything down, even plain water.

Has anyone else has such an extreme reaction in smell and taste? How long does it last? My surgeon just shrugged his shoulders and said, "Eat." 

Easy for him to say.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

GooseGirl
on 2/21/15 8:17 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

Yes I had similar issues post surgery. I ended up back in the hospital for dehydration and you really don't want that to happen. If you can't get down the protein at least try to make sure you are getting 64 oz minimum of fluid a day. Believe me, I know how difficult that is when the smell is off and everything is making your stomach queasy. Try to find a time frame frequency that you can handle sipping and set your timer. 5 minutes was too often for me but I could do 10 or 15 minutes. 

Because I became dehydrated my symptoms lasted much longer than they would have originally and my recovery took a lot longer. I wouldn't worry about protein right now and DEFINITELY wouldn't worry about 1000 calories. Geesh, I don't do that now and I'm 16 weeks out. But get in the fluids. it's the one thing I wish that I had done differently. 

Good luck, i know it sucks to feel this way.

psychoticparrot
on 2/21/15 8:24 am

Sorry you had to go back to the hospital. That's what I'm afraid will happen unless things change soon. Another problem -- my surgeon is in Pennsylvania, and I'm in Florida until the end of March. BTW, I'm almost 3 weeks out from surgery.

psychoticparrot

Stacy_WLS
on 2/21/15 8:22 am

What about greek yogurt?  cottage cheese?  eggs?   THose are loaded w/ protein and don't have the protein shake taste.

Also I would recommend trying different protein shakes as they all are very different.  You could also try blending the protein w/ yogurt or milk?

Good Luck!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

psychoticparrot
on 2/21/15 8:33 am

Hate Greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Not cleared yet for eggs. Still in the puree stage.

I've been trying different protein shakes -- 6 or 7 to date. The problem with blending the protein with milk is that it would make even more to force down. But thanks for your suggestions.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

hollykim
on 2/21/15 8:45 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 21, 2015 at 4:07 PM Pacific Time, psychoticparrot wrote:

Saw my surgeon last Tuesday, and he was not at all pleased. I'm finding it difficult to suck in the 80g of protein he insists on. Most days I'm lucky to get in 40. Also not getting in enough water and calories. He warned me that hair and muscle loss will occur if I don't take in what I should -- 80g protein, 64 oz. liquid, and 1000 calories. He didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.

But the problem is that I'm queasy much of the time. I have to practically choke everything down, and when I try to pu**** even a little, I throw up. Doesn't matter, says the surgeon. Get that protein in. I guess if it's down the hatch for a few minutes before coming back up, it counts. Doesn't make much sense to me.

The other problem -- many here have talked about some of their favorite foods having an off-taste and off-smell. To me, everything stinks -- coffee, fresh air, the protein shakes (especially the protein shakes). Everything smells like burnt plastic and rancid bacon. Even the computer. It's a huge reason I'm finding it so difficult to eat and drink anything. I have to gag everything down, even plain water.

Has anyone else has such an extreme reaction in smell and taste? How long does it last? My surgeon just shrugged his shoulders and said, "Eat." 

Easy for him to say.

psychoticparrot

how much liquid ARE you getting in a day? 64+ oz? Dehydration causes wicked nausea. 

I would focus on fluids and let him fuss. 

KayDeeCee
on 2/21/15 8:58 am
VSG on 01/26/15

Your doctor wants you to eat 1000 calories a day at 3 weeks post-op? I agree with the others that say focus on the water first, then the protein.

5'7" HW 256 (1/6/2014) SW 236.2 (VSG: 1/26/2015) CW 165.5 (01/10/2016) Total Weight Lost 90.5
Pre-Op: -19.8; Month 1: -19; Month 2: -12.7; Month 3: -9.9; Month 4: -7.2; Month 5: -6.4; Month 6: -2.8; Month 7: -3.7; Month 8: -4.2; Month 9: -0.6; Month 10: -2.1; Month 11: -0 Month 12: -2.1

GOALS: BMI Normal = 159 (6.5 to go); 100 LBs Lost = 156 (9.5 to go); FINAL GOAL: 139?? (26.5 to go)

Farmersdaughter2
on 2/21/15 9:31 am
VSG on 12/15/14

I had an awful time with nausea for the first month.  Peppermint essential oils really helped.  I would put it on my wrist and sniff it when I got nauseous.   Right now you are being told to do too many things too fast!  Focus on getting hydrated.  SF popsicles, jello, decaf coffee or decaf tea, gatorade.  Try new things.  Mix it up so you wont get bored or sick of any one thing.  Give yourself a break from the protein shakes for a few days.  If you were on them preop and then for the last 3 weeks, then you are hating them about now!  I am only on 500-600 calories a day so trying to push 1000 at 3 weeks is insane and overwhelming!  Try one new protein item a day.  Just a tablespoon or 2. Try tuna blended with a tsp of mayo, melted cheese on refried beans, cream soups, & scrambled egg with cheese.  It is better to keep a bite or sip down than to throw it up.  Too damaging on your throat, esophagus, stomach & most of all you psyche.

VSG Surgery 12/15/14      HW 247,  SW 212, CW 163

grayC
on 2/21/15 10:26 am
VSG on 05/01/13

Consentrate on getting in as much water as possible..sip,sip, sip

IMHO he's on DRUGS if he telling you 1000 calories..your early out

400-500 at the very most at this stage of the game is all you'll be able to do

1000 calories is maintenance phase as far as I'm concerned..

restrict calories now as much as possible while trying to work up to protien goals

and as far as hair it's gonna happen anyway, don't sweat it,

take biotin 2x a day and it'll be back before you know it..

and where you a big exerciser before surgery if not muscle tone isn't going to be that noticeable,

and when you get more on program and feeling better about yourself in general

you'll be surprised how much you'll want to exercise..

what is it with these Drs. Telling new patients to consume that many calories....SMH....

elliebean78
on 2/21/15 11:53 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 02/19/15

I'm sorry you're having these issues with getting in your liquids and protein. :( I am so nervous now, because in the hospital, I downed some liquid pain killer (maybe 1/2 ounce or 1 ounce, and followed with a sip of water and within about 30 seconds, it came right back up, and boy did that HURT. So I'm so scared of drinking anything. How often do you drink water and how long does it take you to do that? Does the liquid pretty much flow right through? 

Most Active
Recent Topics