Types of Protein (meal replacement vs plain protein shake?)

Zabet2015
on 2/20/15 6:58 am

Hi, friends!  My VSG procedure is in 13 days, and I'm gearing up for post-op.  Random question about shakes... I've ordered several sample packs from different companies (Syntrax, Unjury, etc.), and I'm seeing that many of these shakes pretty much have protein, and that's it.  (Not a lot of additional vitamins/nutrients.)

Are you doing these kind of plain protein shakes immediately post op (consuming protein and little else), or are you doing an actual meal replacement, where the shake has protein and all kinds of other vitamins/minerals (but still under 5gm Carbs)? 

If you're just doing plain protein, how do you get in your vitamins?  Are we allowed to take a daily multivitamin as we would before surgery?  I guess it's a question for the nutritionist... just curious what people do in the very beginning.  The meal replacement shakes seem so much more dense (and thus, harder to get down), than just the plain protein.  But it also seems like the perfect way to get protein, liquid, and nutrients in one shot.  (Basically?  I'm loving some Syntrax nectar... but all it gives me is protein.  I'm thinking I'll have to do something else for nourishment!  :)

Thanks, everyone-- hope that all made sense!!

SW: 212  CW: 200  GW: 145   Getting there...one step at a time!

(VSG surgery on 3/4/15 by Dr. Ariel Ortiz)

mickeymantle
on 2/20/15 7:03 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I use premier protien shakes they have some nutrients  but you will always need to take vitamins and calcium  supplements

and on full liquids you can have any soup that goes thru a strainer , I ate baby food on full liquid my surgeon says if it goes thru a strainer its full liquid  

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

emelar
on 2/20/15 7:04 am - TX

First, the post-op liquid diet is for a very limited time.  You won't deplete any vitamin stores during that time.

Everyone's regimen includes vitamins, which I started taking a few days after surgery.  You'll get whatever supplements you need from your vitamins and supplements until you move to a regular diet - although you'll continue to take your vitamins and supplements.  There's no need to get meal replacement shakes, although I don't think there's anything wrong with them as long as they're allowed on your plan.

Zabet2015
on 2/20/15 7:17 am

All good wisdom... thanks.  I think I have it in my head that I'm just never going to eat food again.  (Overreact much?)  :)

Adjustments... so many adjustments!

SW: 212  CW: 200  GW: 145   Getting there...one step at a time!

(VSG surgery on 3/4/15 by Dr. Ariel Ortiz)

Most Active
Recent Topics