Can't seem to decide... RNY or VSG?

psych0patra
on 2/19/15 9:40 am - Plattsburgh, NY

I know this is a frequent question here, but...

I'm scouring the internet, YouTube and these posts for something that will tip the scales.  RNY or VSG?  My mother had RNY done over two years ago.  Going in to this, I assumed that I would have the same one done, but now I really don't know.  I've been told to make a list of pros and cons for each, and I have done that, but I still haven't found the thing that solidifies it for me. 

My mother had the RNY done because she had GERD.  I however, do not.  At first, I thought that the threat of dumping syndrome could work in my favor.  I have this puke phobia.  I know I would do what is necessary to avoid vomiting.  But it turns out that dumping doesn't happen with everyone, so I shouldn't  use that as a deciding factor.  Then I read that RNY patients tend to lose their sweet tooths (teeth?).  Then I'm told that can happen with any of the surgeries.  I'm not diabetic.  I don't have high blood pressure. 

I'm posting this in the hope that someone will see this and share something that I don't already know.  I could have my surgery as early as next month, but I've apparently gotten in my own way. 

Thanks in advance.

Valerie G.
on 2/19/15 12:28 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Do you lose weight when you diet?

Does your body fight back despite your best diet efforts?

Do you feel that in your heart of hearts, you need more than just eating less?

Do you have an ongoing necessity for NSAIDS?

These are some key questions to consider when selecting (a) a restrictive-only procedure like the sleeve or (b) a combination of restriction and malabsorption to alter metabolism like RNY or DS.  WLS is not one-size-fits-all, so what works splendidly for one may not yield the same results for another.  You know yourself better than any doc will after talking with you for 10 minutes.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

pineview01
on 2/19/15 12:38 pm - Davison, MI

I almost got the RNY for the dumping.  Than by doing the research found out it was only about 30%.  I chose VSG because I needed help with hunger and I didn't want major supplementation.  I just am not good about it long term and saw with my sister with the DS that you have to be or pay the price.  Also for the first almost two years sugary made me sick.  Most of the people at support 6 years ago were RNY and I never heard one say they lost their sweet tooth 

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

momsy55
on 2/20/15 4:22 am - ME

As others have said, this is an individual decision, and there are pros and cons for each.  I chose the sleeve primarily because I didn't want the re-routing, and malabsorption.  I like that my stomach, though much smaller, functions more normally with the preservation of the pyloric valve, and I don't have to take loads of vitamins and supplements.  I take what I took prior to surgery.  Sublingual B-12 was added, but my labs a year out showed that my B-12 levels were very high, so they stopped it.  That level did come down some, when I had labs a few months ago, but it was still well above the normal range.  I also felt that, even though each surgery has its own risks, the sleeve had fewer ones.  Some research seems to suggest that, because of the preservation of the pyloric valve, long-term success with VSG may be better.   A co-worker had RNY 6 months prior to my surgery, and she's done well, though I believe she gets the runs and vomits fairly often.  Her husband (also a co-worker) told me that at a support group for her WLS program, the dr. said if he had to have WLS, he'd choose the sleeve - that made me feel I'd made the right decision.  I haven't regretted my decision for a minute.  Good luck with whatever you decide! 

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

psych0patra
on 2/21/15 8:09 am - Plattsburgh, NY

I don't have pain issues, so not taking NSAIDS isn't a concern of mine.  I've been struggling with my weight for 30 years.  I have lost weight in the past but haven't been able to keep it off. 

My concern with the sleeve is that it's permanent.  Your stomach is gone.  With the RNY it remains,  but that brings up another issue.  The unused stomach just sits there and it is susceptible to disease. It cannot be scoped to prevent disease.  

psych0patra
on 2/25/15 9:57 am - Plattsburgh, NY

I have an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow.  Hopefully I will leave his office knowing what I want.  Wish me luck.

psych0patra
on 3/3/15 10:17 pm - Plattsburgh, NY

Well, the surgeon gave me some things to think about.  I'm going to a support group meeting on Tuesday as my last hope. 

psych0patra
on 3/15/15 6:42 am - Plattsburgh, NY

So... I have decided to go with the sleeve...

Catwoman77
on 3/15/15 7:08 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Congrats on making your decision! I love my sleeve and haven't had an ounce of regret, although to be fair I'm still less than a year out. But it's been an amazing journey so far, and if I had it to do over I would choose to do it again 100 out of 100 times. Good luck with your surgery! And, if there was something in particular that helped you to decide, maybe post it here to help the next person searching for the same question! :-)

VSG with Dr. Michael Jiser, Lowell General Hospital

HW 281, GW 155, CW 149 5'11"

psych0patra
on 3/19/15 1:42 am - Plattsburgh, NY

It's less invasive.  No malabsorption of necessary vitamins. My surgeon recommends it, I won't have issues with ulcers. Quicker healing time etc.

Most Active
Recent Topics