Worried about hitting my 3 month goal

TallBadger2015
on 2/20/15 1:38 am

My 3 month follow up is on 3/23, so I know there is still time, but it seems like I have a mountain in front of me with 18 lbs to go.  I am currently down almost 53 lbs (15 was pre-op liquid diet) and that's definitely a positive thing.  So I have about 33 days to lose 18 and I'm just worried that I won't get there.  To be fair, I was worried that I wouldn't hit my 1 month goal either and I ended up hitting it exactly on the nose.  Any thoughts?

Highest Recorded Weight: 454/Starting Weight:  433.7/Surgery Weight:  419/Current Weight:  353

GooseGirl
on 2/20/15 1:56 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I recommend removing the time frame from your goals. That will just drive you crazy. As long as you are losing does it really matter if you lose the weight you want by 3 months or 3 1/2 months? Personally, i think putting time restrictions on weight loss just adds unnecessary stress. 

TallBadger2015
on 2/20/15 2:38 am

Sorry, I should have confirmed that this goal was set by my doctor :)

Highest Recorded Weight: 454/Starting Weight:  433.7/Surgery Weight:  419/Current Weight:  353

GooseGirl
on 2/20/15 3:02 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

Well then... that does make a difference ;) I think as long as you are following your plan even if you miss the goal by a smidge the surgeon should understand. If he doesn't and is a putz then I would let him know exactly what I thought of that! It's frustrating that the surgeon (in my opinion) is adding this stress. 

Good luck!

Tracy D.
on 2/20/15 3:58 am, edited 2/20/15 3:59 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

OK, please explain to me who is holding a gun to your head and "insisting" that you lose a certain amount of weight within a certain time frame?  If it's your doctor, he's an idiot.  If it's you, then you are setting yourself up for anxiety, desperation and future depression because you are focusing on the wrong thing. 

And regardless of who is hanging this sword over your head, what happens if you don't hit this magical number in the time frame required?  Does somebody come in and steal your first-born?  Does your boss fire you?  Do you have to declare bankruptcy?  Do 3rd world countries collapse and children in India starve from hunger?  

You get my point   You need to take this journey seriously but stopping taking youself so seriously.  Enjoy the ride cuz it's never gonna end.  

ETA:  Your doctor sets goals because he's used to people who can't or won't set their own.  He is going to be THRILLED with your progress regardless if you don't hit the number on the nose.  It's much more important to take the right steps every single day than to hit some mythical "number" on the scale.  If you take right action every day, you can't fail! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/20/15 4:05 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

^^^ What Tracy said.  We set ourselves for failure, disappointment, frustration, depression, anxiety, emotional eating, etc. if we don't meet our self-imposed goals by a certain date.  The amount of weight you lose in the first few months after surgery will slow down over time.  Your body cannot keep up that pace.  

Just stay on your program, drink plenty of fluids, exercise when you can and the weight will come off.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/20/15 6:55 am, edited 2/20/15 8:07 am

if you don't think you can - you will not meet the goal.. 

you are a guy,  still rather large ....so that is app 4 lbs per week... app 1% of your current body weight...

set up a goal for yourself..  and think how you can do it.. and not why you can't... 

you have a long way to go...small steps.. the 18 lbs are less than 5% of your body weight,,, and only 10% of the weight you still hope to lose... right?  

proper diet (protein first) and keep moving... the more you lose now - the less will there to get rid off...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ElizaM
on 2/20/15 7:52 am
VSG on 07/24/14

All you can do is your best. If you are following the rules and eating as you should, the weight is going to come off. Is it going to come off as fast as you want? Maybe, maybe not. 

I think it's not cool of your doctor to give you a goal with a time frame like that. Everyone else in this thread has laid down lots of wisdom on this subject, and this is one case where I would ignore my doctor. Do your best, the scale will do what it's going to do. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

frisco
on 2/20/15 4:30 pm

First, I don't have anything against what everyone else has said..... All seems valid for some people.

I think you can do it and you should go for it !!!

Your still early out with a lot of weight to lose and just getting into the sweet spot.

I liked having a surgeon that pushed me and praised me when I did good. Maybe a guy thing, but I like goals that seem just out of reach. 

To many people dilly dally in the early stages when WL is easiest and wished they could have that time back.

Go for it!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/15 11:45 pm

why stress yourself out with a time frame. I'm not using any time frames been there done that in weigh****chers. Just gonna follow my drs plan.  Please don't stress.

Most Active
Recent Topics