Ideas for What Type Machines to Use at Y?

L. Speegle
on 2/19/15 11:43 pm - Oxford , MS
VSG on 12/29/14

HELP!  I could never do the Elliptical that my husband has.  I tried the stationary bike.  I walk daily.  Can someone advise.  I scheduled a trainer but she cancelled at the last minute.  Need to start toning as I am losing.  Do not know what to do.

LynnTangle 

Tracy D.
on 2/20/15 12:06 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

For toning you'll need to use the weight machines and free weights...and you absolutely need to wait for the trainer so you can be instructed on proper form.  Otherwise you can very easily hurt yourself.  

Just use the cardio equipment you're comfortable with until you get another session with the trainer.  If you insist on doing other things in the meantime, try push-ups from your knees and crunches to work on your core.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

L. Speegle
on 2/20/15 1:21 am - Oxford , MS
VSG on 12/29/14

Thanks Tracy. 

LynnTangle 

mmsmom
on 2/20/15 12:55 am - Woburn, MA

I love the group classes at the Y - zumba, y pump, kickboxing, fun, fun, fun

VSG on 04/28/2014

L. Speegle
on 2/20/15 1:22 am - Oxford , MS
VSG on 12/29/14

Thanks!

LynnTangle 

mickeymantle
on 2/20/15 1:48 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

best single machine is the rowing machine it uses almost all your muscles and burns a ton of calories

the one I use has games on it and also races to make it fun

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

L. Speegle
on 2/20/15 7:43 am - Oxford , MS
VSG on 12/29/14

Thanks. I saw it but was embarrassed to ask for help. I will Monday. 

LynnTangle 

MegZorar
on 2/20/15 9:18 am

I agree about the row machine. Great range of motion. To use it, there's a lever on the right side at the front to adjust the resistance. You might want to turn the lever to 5 or less when you start. Then when you press the power button, you can select "change display" until you see whatever metrics you like (whether it's distance, time, calories etc). The exercise itself involves pulling with both arms while pushing with your legs. You'll get the hang of it very quickly once you set up the machine.

Also, it doesn't have to be a long workout. Rowing accomplishes a lot in a little time.

There are also lots of exercises you could do without any machines. MSN had a good post on this. Check it out here: Body Weight Fat Shredder 

Good luck and good for you for stepping out and doing something unfamiliar.

L. Speegle
on 2/21/15 1:13 am - Oxford , MS
VSG on 12/29/14

Than you!  Thats a lot of info. Much appreciated. 

LynnTangle 

Most Active
Recent Topics