I'm. So. Cold.

Superchunk77
on 2/19/15 10:22 pm

My S/O bought me a heated blanket the week after my surgery.  I love that thing and have been sleeping with it every night.

LeapSecond
on 2/19/15 11:45 pm - AR

I knew being cold was related to VSG and was kindof looking forward to a little of it.  But remained hot and mostly moist as usual.  Then winter hit and my feet started hurting and I started bundling up.  I never wore a hat before now I wear it inside sometimes. Started developing sores on my feet like a diabetic but have never been one.  Went to a podiatrist for my sore feet. He padded my insoles but the sores grew worse.  And then to the other foot and my hands are freezing.  Went back for a follow up and he shook my hand first then touched my feet.  He said I know what this is!  You have Raynaud's.  There is no correlation between Raynaud's and VSG but went to Out patient hospital for arterial differencial pressures index to rule out clots.  The ultrasound tech took one look at my feet and asked had my doc said anything about Raynaud's? So I fixed my hot tub.  Bought army surplus artic boots and some really good gloves. I am more comfortable but still get cold.  Looking forward to summer temps for the first time in my life.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Tracy D.
on 2/20/15 12:13 am, edited 2/20/15 12:13 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

In order to generate heat your body burns these things in the following order: carbs, protein, fat. Once you severely limit your carbs the body is forced to turn to protein and fat to generate energy ie. heat.

Guess what? It takes a LOT longer to break down protein and fat....so it takes your body longer to generate heat.

When I complain of the cold now my husband will jokingly say, "Go eat a cookie!" and we laugh about it. Because I've proven the fact over and over that if I eat simple carbs I get warm real fast - lol!

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Kiwideb
on 2/20/15 10:47 am
VSG on 01/19/15

I was good for a week after surgery (prob to do with me fighting with the pneumonia) but the last 4..brrrrrr? I've been using my electric heat pack of my feet before now - I had to buy socks and totally underestimated how thin they were! I have to go buy thick ski socks! On thursday after support group I went and bought and electric heating throw. I'm sitting under it now finally feeling warm!

This has been just as hard to get used to how much to eat and when!

Pamela M.
on 2/26/15 2:27 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

You're not alone!  Before surgery I used to tell everyone that I wanted to live in Alaska.  I used to wear sandals in the dead of winter - now - OMG - I am FREEZING ALL THE TIME!  I wear several layers of clothes to keep warm and still my nose, feet and hands are cold all the time.  I pray that the reason is due to my body burning fat . . . 24 lbs. until I reach goal.  I am really looking forward to summer and I have never said that before!

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

ElizaM
on 2/26/15 4:14 am
VSG on 07/24/14

I'm so glad I'm not alone! Thanks everyone for chiming in!

I ordered a space heater last week and OMG it's a life saver! Highly recommend one. I just got a little personal sized one. What a world of difference. It's like I'm in a cocoon of warmth. The only problem is my cat lies down in front of it, blocking my delicious warm air.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Most Active
Recent Topics