I can't stop weighing myself!!

MissNexxie
on 2/19/15 12:56 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I weigh once a week and once I hit goal and move to maintenance I'll likely go to twice a week weigh ins.

I am a serial weigher and its a hard habit to break, getting away from weighing once or multiple times per day. But, I feel its an important step (for me) because I only ever measured my success by that damn scale. It was never about feeling better, better food choices or NSVs. If I was up a pound but had a great day with exercise and good choices, it was still a fail because of the scale.

When I got this surgery I made a decision to do things differently. Almost 10 months out and its been going well. Not easy at first but after a few days its not so bad. I suggest putting the scale away on a shelf. Don't leave it out.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

GooseGirl
on 2/19/15 1:59 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I now weigh every day at my therapist's instruction. Previously I was weighing weekly. Man, I fought him about weighing daily kicking and screaming (ironic since I used to obsessively weigh daily) but, reluctantly I did. His reasoning was that I needed to break this emotional bond with the scale and it will be far easier to break this negative feeling about the scale now, when my weight loss is easier, than it will be later down the road. He challenged me to recognize that the scale, like my sleeve, is just a tool in my weight loss. The # it gives me is just one data point and it's a data point that I neither have complete control over nor can I completely predict what it will return to me.

It took me a while but I think that I have mostly achieved the head space that he was desiring for me with regards to the scale. One of the many reasons that I had this surgery was to take control back of my life and yet every day, when I would allow those negative emotions in (based on the scale reading) then I was relinquishing a bit of that control to that scale. 

Probably more than you cared to know :) Good luck with finding the approach that works for you. 

Gwen M.
on 2/19/15 10:39 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This is both interesting and awesome. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/15 2:09 am

After surgery I was fine.  I had no scale because I was fat.  I never wanted to weigh myself.  My first weigh in was my first appointment with the WL surgeon's office.  And then I bought a scale.  At first, I weighed every week.  And, like you when the weight was around 200 pounds, I started weighing every day.  I have been weighing every day for the past 2 months.  Soon I am going to take a hammer to this scale because this habit is much harder to break than not eating carbs after surgery.  I have not cheated with carbs since surgery in Sept. except for one cookie at Christmas.  My place is small and I can just walk a few steps to get the scale.  I am a scale addict, and not proud of it.  Tomorrow I promise not to weigh myself and to weigh once a week.  There has to be a 12 step program for people like us.

Beth Of Fletchair
on 2/19/15 4:01 am

My scale is in my guest bedroom along with my elliptical, free weights and full length mirror.  Every morning, after I brush my teeth etc, I take a good long look at myself in the mirror and weigh myself.  When I bought my house 10 years ago, I never unpacked my scale or any mirror bigger that my head.  I gained over 100 lbs in that time and in the beginning I didn't even realize it was happening to that extent.

I got myself into this mess by ignoring what I was doing to myself one day at a time.  Now I am facing the facts every day.  I will never lose track again.

Nicki08
on 2/19/15 4:08 am
VSG on 09/15/14

Thank you for all the responses...I think I will put my scale in the basement and just bring it out thurs nights and weigh on fri mornings...btw I've lost 70 lbs since 9/1 not 90...wishful thinking I guess 😁

DelilahJO
on 2/19/15 9:51 am

I weigh daily and don't see a problem in doing so? I see it as being responsible to myself. Weight can creep on without knowing it, I would rather catch it at a couple pounds instead of 10-20? If that makes sense. Do what makes you happy :)

jyamiolk
on 2/19/15 10:23 am
VSG on 10/15/14

I weigh myself every morning. I have a Withings WIFI scale and my weight is registered on the site. Through apps I am able to see the trends in my weightloss. I have been doing this for around 2 years. I am a numbers person and like to see the weight fluctuations. I read a study where people that weigh themselves daily actually lost more weight than weekly weighers. Their logic was that daily weighers can see fluctuations in weight and modify diet on the fly whereas weekly weighers don't see the trend and they actually gained or did not loose as much. 

VSG with DR. Sharp on 10-15-2014

Age 43 Height 5' 10" HW 306 SW 280 CW 185

GW 195

Gwen M.
on 2/19/15 10:35 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I weigh daily. Not weighing myself got me to 319. Now I feel in touch with my body, I have a better feel for why my fluctuations happen, and I can treat the number as one more piece of feedback/information. 

I don't see anything wrong with this. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

NYMom222
on 2/19/15 10:48 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I weigh myself everyday. I think it keeps me honest. I just don't obsess over it. I record once a week on Wednesdays. You have to accept there will be fluctuations when you weigh everyday. You have to deal with your mind... and not let it drive you crazy. You are doing amazing, why are you going crazy over it? Good Luck, whatever you decide.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
Recent Topics