Discouraged

hollykim
on 2/17/15 3:18 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 17, 2015 at 8:51 AM Pacific Time, Michelle J. wrote:

Well its been 3 years since my surgery.  I lost 60 lbs but have now gained back 25lbs.  I have never gotten under 200 lbs and don't know how to get back on track.  My problem is that from the very beginning I have always been so hungry.  I eat and get full with little food but shortly after I'm so hungry again and have ended up just putting anything in my mouth.  This has not been the happy ending I expected it to be.  I see myself going back to the way I was before and still very FAT.

agree with the PPI. Aso are you getting 64+ ounces of liquid a day!every day? Dehydration mimics hunger. 

What are you eating? Carbs even so called healthy carbs are going to make you hungry. What does a days menu. Look like for you?

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/17/15 4:52 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't achieve your weight loss goals.  But you can always keep trying.  If you've never taken a PPI, I suggest starting there.  Your stomach generates acid which can mimic hunger, but it's not really hungry.  The PPI controls the acid and for most people that hunger craving will dissipate. 

If possible, follow up with your surgeon's office and ask for help.  Do they have a dietitian on staff?  Revisit all the things you need to do to lose weight after VSG.

Have you considered attending support groups or therapy?  We tend to have abnormal relationships with food and until we work on it, the reasons why we overeat or graze will continue.  Keep posting here on OH to be mindful of what others are doing.  Check out the "What Are You Eating Today" threads and observe what people are eating during weight loss and maintenance stages.  

Don't give up.  The game isn't over.  You just have to get yourself motivated - no one can do it for you - and be focused on your goals.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Michelle J.
on 2/17/15 5:05 am - LA
VSG on 02/21/12

thank you, when should I take the PPI

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/17/15 5:13 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Mine is a prescription, but you can buy Prilosec or Nexium comparables at Costco.  The instructions were to take it an hour before I eat anything, so I take one as soon as I wake up in the morning.  

My doctor also suggested that I could take it at night before I go to bed since the acid seems to be at its worst when I wake up in the morning.  Just take it on an empty stomach and let it do its work before you eat anything.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

ipray
on 2/17/15 6:02 am
VSG on 11/06/14

It is never too late to undertake damage control.  You have done the most important thing already, in acknowledging that you need help.  You haven't gained all of your weight back, so the battle will be easier than if you had. You can do it!  You already proved that you can lose 60 lbs., so you can definately lose the 25 pounds that you have gained before you gain any more.  Good luck to you and be proud of you accomplishments and don't focus on your failures.

Sandy M.
on 2/17/15 7:47 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Man oh man, do I empathize with you!  I've gained back 20 pounds myself, most of it this winter.  You got really good advice from everyone here; I know what works for me, yet every winter I seem to backslide.  And what works for me?

• Logging my food on MyFitnessPal.
  • Getting rid of the sugary and fatty carbs that are my go-to foods in the winter.  Note that this one hurts for about 3 days, but once you get past that period, you'll find the cravings diminish.
  • Upping my Vitamin D intake - I have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), so this helps.  If you find yourself sluggish, depressed, or find it hard to focus during the winter months, check with your doctor.  A light box also helps if you can't get outside for 15 minutes a day.
  • Exercising even a little bit - I'm in week 4 of a squat challenge, and beginning yoga 
  • Focusing on high protein meals
  • Getting my water intake in - not pop, not juice, bu****er
  • Taking my acid reducer every day
  • Multi-vitamins

I stopped tracking my meals, started eating crap, and stopped exercising.  Until one day when I couldn't go to work because I didn't have any pants that fit (I had given away my bigger stuff).  So I'm being more vigilant and doing what I know works.  I'm starting to feel my collarbones again, so I'm on my way.

Being hungry - carbs do that to me.  If you can get past the 3-day carb monster detox, you might start to feel full longer.  I do.

Oh, and the last item on my list?  Come back to OH!

You can do this Michelle - you're worth it!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Michelle J.
on 2/18/15 12:23 am - LA
VSG on 02/21/12

thank you, great advice

MegZorar
on 2/17/15 9:52 am

For me, the trick is not to allow myself to get hungry. Unlike many who have WLS, I DO feel hunger. Self-control becomes increasingly difficult if I let myself get hungry. So I eat as soon as I feel even the slightest pang. Or even before then.

How about putting yourself on a schedule? For example, eat breakfast at 8 a.m., snack at 10, lunch at noon, snack at 2 p.m., dinner by 6 p.m....Drink water in between. Hungry or not, start the day knowing how many calories/proteins/carbs etc you need to eat, then divide them up into a mini calendar.

Michelle J.
on 2/18/15 12:25 am - LA
VSG on 02/21/12

thank you

Most Active
Recent Topics