Hair Loss after VSG

psren13
on 2/13/15 9:57 am - NC
VSG on 03/11/15

I was reading posts on youtube (VSG) and hair loss is quite common.  (I have not had my surgery yet, just compiling all the info I can find). One in particular used Clinicure then switched to Naturnetics, both are a vitamin supplement that contain biotin and a few other ingredients that is supponsed to be good for your hair growth (and nails).  I know the Clinicure is sold through Amazon but I don't remeber where I found the Naturnetics  (might of been Amazon too).  I plan on getting some because my hair is already thin and I sure don't want to go totally bald.  Good luck..

Tryingtodothis
on 2/13/15 11:20 pm

I haven't had my surgery yet either but I'm gathering info like you too and I have read that we should start taking all these supplements before surgery maybe that will help my plan b is to get. Weave! 

Valerie G.
on 2/13/15 11:38 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Like Gwen said, there's no stopping telogen effluvium.  It just runs its course and stops. 

For protein, though, you need a good 60-80g per day, however you can muster it.  My saviour early out was ricotta cheese, and is still a favorite today 9 yrs post op.  You can make it savory like a lasagna, with just some sauce and cheese, sans noodles (I use sliced eggplant instead of noodles).  You can also make it sweet with a little vanilla and sweetener, or go crazy and add instant pudding and a little milk for a protein-packed, totally healthy dessert. 

I, too, hate all whey protein drinks.  Not only do I find that aftertaste and foamy crap around the edges to be absolutely foul, but I also found that whey gives me horrible gas. That's how I started eating ricotta several times a day at 7g in only a quarter-cup.  A few years ago, someone turned me on to egg protein.  Boy was that an improvement!  I cannot claim that it's "delicious", but it's acceptable, and I especially like it mixed with some iced coffee.  On days when I'm just not eating enough, I will chug down some.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

syaohio
on 2/14/15 2:15 am
with

Oh I keep trying, tried the Ricotta Cheese and cottage cheese, had all I could take of them no matter how I tried it. I have choked a lot of protein foods down that I really, really find disgusting, but know I must..I am not close to the 60-80 grams of protein...I was a very picky eater before, now it is much worse..I find that things I once liked I can no longer even eat...so it is trial and error for me...thanks for your input...thanks to all of you..

Ready to join in this thing called LIFE

Valerie G.
on 2/14/15 5:50 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I didn't find any pleasure in foods for nearly a year.  Everything was just "meh".  I ate because my body needed it.  I drank because my body needed it and gave up on any enjoyment.  Eventually things did change, but it felt like forever.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

coop1977
on 2/14/15 9:15 am - Canada

I am only four weeks out .... I aim for 60 grams minimum 

have you tried ready to drink Premier Protein?  I like the chocolate and just tried vanilla ... Both are yumm!

I like hard boiled eggs ... Forked mashed with a little light mayo and mustard

I also eat Greek yogurt ... Do you like that?

ground beef goes down easy for me ... So for dinners I like meat sauce with a sprinkle of grated cheese or a meatball, also chili works good fo me.

I have tried tuna ... Again with light mayo and a grated pickle mixed .... Very good!

hope this helps somewhat,

Janet

Dr. Ramos Kelly .... Jan.13, 2015

coop1977
on 2/14/15 9:16 am - Canada

Ohh ... And the baked Ricotta.  ... Very good too!

Dr. Ramos Kelly .... Jan.13, 2015

syaohio
on 4/21/15 11:59 pm
with

Well I am happy to report that things are so much better...I have found a good source of protein for me and that I like, jerky and pork rinds. LOL  Also salmon patties, cheese cubes, turkey, and almonds..keep those around at all times. The hair loss is still an issue, but I am not letting that get to me, it is what it is and in time it will get better...almost like a badge of honor from what I have been through...hair loss and all that I have read about it will grow back...it is a phase that will come and go.  Very happy with my weight loss after 8 months, and able to eat and enjoy life, still getting protein and taking my vitamin supplements..so never give up, keep a good attitude and know that at some point your success and better health, life will come through. It is all worth it....

Ready to join in this thing called LIFE

spuddzy
on 4/22/15 1:16 am - NY

My surgery was December..i keep losing hair not a lot but I feel it thinner and see it in the brush. I also don't get enough protein daily some days more then others. I haven't felt like eating the past 2 weeks. nothing appeals to me.. I seemed to have lost my appetite. but I haven't lost much weight the past month. maybe a few pounds..my protein consists of eggs and cheese mostly. I take biotin 5000 mg. a day.plus other vitimins...I know hair will stop falling out because this happened when I had the band putin 4 yrs. ago...I do try to get in 24 mg whey protein shake once a day. vanilla..not bad.. try it...good luck...

spuddzy

Most Active
Recent Topics