Four days out, how much exercise?

Twinsinsept.
on 5/9/14 12:17 am
VSG on 05/06/14

Surgery was Tuesday, I was in the hospital for 36 hours, and walked the halls 3 to 4 times per day.  Not a super long distance.  Yesterday was very warm where I live, so I took a walk with my mom for about two blocks and turn around and came back.  Right now I am very sleepy, and I'm just trying to weigh whether it's better to take a nap or go for another walk.  How much exercise/walking were you getting in the first week after surgery?  

I don't want to overdo it, but I do want to be burning calories as much as possible.  Thanks for any input!

Renee

HW: 345. CW 272

MayPenGirl
on 5/9/14 12:37 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 04/03/13

Congrats on getting sleeved!!  The first 2 weeks you really do not have that much energy so walking should be the only exercise that you do right now.  Do what you can and if you get light headed sit down and take a break.  You are still healing/adjusting from surgery so you don't want to do too much too soon. 

I didn't start working out until 2 months after surgery.  I needed time to adjust and that is when I was actually mentally and physically ready.  Everyone is different so pace yourself and do it in your own time.

Surgery date - 04/03/13; Goal date - 11/10/13 (I reached goal in 31 weeks & 4 days)

Highest weight 261  SW 258  GW 150   M1 -26  M2 -14  M3 -10  M4 -12  M5 -13  M6 -12  M7 -11  M8 -10  In maintenance since November 2013  HT- 5'6"  

Kelly Jean
on 5/9/14 12:45 am
VSG on 04/08/14

Congrats!!!! as far as exercise goes do what you think you can dont over do it.... Im 4 weeks out I walk some days 3-4 blocks some days 1-2 miles its up to how I feel.... I know down the road I can and will do more ... My surgen wont let me do any real exercise till im at least 6 weeks out !!!!

skeller
on 5/9/14 12:46 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 05/01/14 with

I'm 8 days out, and the only exercise I'm doing at this point is walking to the mailboxes, or short shopping trips for odds and ends, or little jaunts to meet with friends to knit--stuff like that.

I, too, have been wondering when to start on a more formal exercise regimen, and one month out sounds doable to me. I am hoping to hook up with a Pilates trainer recommended to me by a friend, and start there, and at the same time, resume the water aerobics classes I was taking twice a week. Slow and steady.

DOB 1958, HT 5'4" . . . HW 310, SW 281, CW 184.3

M1 -25, M2 -7, M3 -11.9, M4 -7.6, M5 -11.8, M6 -9.6, M7 -1.7, M8 -10, M9 -5, M10 -5

Sandy M.
on 5/9/14 1:26 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Walking is GOOD!  You won't be able to do much more than that for the first month anyway.  

I would walk every day, sometimes twice a day, and walk just a little further each time than I did the time before.  Six weeks after surgery I walked my first 5K, and was very proud of the fact that I didn't stop to rest once!

Signing up for a 5K a month or two from now will give you a good incentive to keep it up, especially if you sign up with friends or family that will walk with you.  My biggest misconception about races was that everyone was in great shape and everyone ran.  Since surgery a year ago, I've done 5 or 6 of them (doing the Fargo Marathon 5K tonight), and at least half the crowd is walkers.

I also suggest that you get the Endomondo or Map My Walk app on your phone - it will tell you how far you walked, how many calories you burned, and even map out where you've been!  And, they synch with MyFitnessPal to log your daily exercise.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Stacy_WLS
on 5/9/14 1:27 am

I wouldn't pu**** now.  Just do what feels ok.  Once I was 2 weeks out I started going to the gym for a bit more.  Now I would focus on resting and drinking and healing.  

Congrats!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

MissNexxie
on 5/9/14 1:29 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I'm 9 days out and up until 2 days ago was walking around my house for about 5-8 minutes every waking hour.  In the last 2 days I've walked around my neighbourhood (its a circle) which took about 15 mins at my pace.  More of a stroll because it is tiring.  As long as you're getting movement in every 60-90 mins you'll prevent bloodclots and improve your stamina.  Yes, you will be tired, it's normal.  Right now is not about burning calories, it's about recovery. Stick with 5-10 mins every waking hour or so.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Flygirlmedic
on 5/9/14 1:59 am

I was not allowed to do anything but wal****il I was 6 weeks out. Just try and walk as much as you can and as often as your body will let you. Keep in mind that you are not taking much in right now in the way of calories so you may tire easy. I am now 10 weeks out and going to the gym as much as possible. I do Cardio, like treadmill, eliptical or ARC at least 4 days a week and I have started adding some strength training to get things to tighten up as I lose the weight.

Take it slow. You still have alot of healing to do....

VSG 2/25/14 Dr. David Kim    HT 5'5" 51yo SW 230 CW 170.2 GW 135

mickeymantle
on 5/9/14 2:10 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you want to walk a little bit every few hours to prevent blood clots ,

you can not lift any weight over 10 lb for 6 weeks , unless your surgeon says other wise

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Twinsinsept.
on 5/9/14 3:47 am
VSG on 05/06/14

Okay, so I guess I'm hardheaded.  I decided to go to Walmart which is 1 mile down the road.  My surgeon had said I could drive, and I am not currently on the Vicodin.  I picked up just a few things at Walmart and decided to come home.  I set down for about a half an hour, and then my mom came over and we went for another short walk.  Probably about two blocks. Now I am lightheaded and dizzy and am laying in bed.  I think I overdid it.

I should have waited for all of your replies before thinking I knew what was best.  Now I'm thinking about not returning to work so soon.  

HW: 345. CW 272

Most Active
Recent Topics