How soon after surgery do you start losing? How often do you weigh?

Twinsinsept.
on 5/4/14 12:54 pm
VSG on 05/06/14

I've always played mind games with the scale and I'm wondering how soon to expect a loss?  I've already lost 12 lbs in 2 days from the Liquid diet. Do you all weigh every day?  Once per week?  

Thanks!!! 

HW: 345. CW 272

ShrinkingViolet2013
on 5/4/14 1:04 pm

Good for you!  Personally, I weigh weekly (I'm 6 months out).  For the first time in my life, that scale is my friend.  No more trying to trick the scale for me. :)  I think that once I hit goal, I'll likely weigh myself more often to make sure I stay on track, but that's just my way of thinking.  Lots of good luck - enjoy the ride! 

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/14 1:11 pm - Canada

I started losing within the first week but it takes a few days for your body to eliminate all the IV fluids so don't be surprised if you are up a few pounds when you leave the hospital.

I weigh several times a week.  So far I've had one stall but it didn't freak me out and if the scale doesn't move I'm find with that.  So weighing often doesn't bug me I find it more interesting to see how my body reacts to certain things.

I had IV therapy a few days ago, I came home 7 lbs heavier then when I left.  It took two days for me to lose the extra weight plus a pound.  It just interests me ;)

If you are the type to obsess go for weekly.  Weighing doesn't change anything, what you eat and drink changes everything.  Remember that :)

LosingSarah
on 5/4/14 1:25 pm - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

It depends on the person. Some people will hold onto their fluids for a few days, a week or even longer before they see a loss, then it just comes off.

For me, I had a huge 17 lbs loss in six days, but then stalled for three weeks before I started losing again. 

Good luck! You're so close!

Mike B.
on 5/4/14 2:19 pm
You should start seeing weight loss in the first week. It will take a few days to lose the water weight from all the fluids they pump in you while in the hospital. I weigh myself everyday still

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

mickeymantle
on 5/4/14 3:13 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

once a week or you will drive yourself crazy with daily fluctuations, 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

EmmyK
on 5/4/14 3:25 pm - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

I left the hospital up 7 lbs from morning of surgery.  Since then?  I'm down 14 lbs in three days from peeing all the fluid.

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

pineview01
on 5/4/14 3:31 pm - Davison, MI

When I was banded I gained 18 pounds from the fluid.  When sleeved only 12 so don't let that freak you out.  I weighed ever day just after waking, after peeing and buck naked.  I charted my wight every day as I did every bite or in this case every sip.  I like to track everything for accountability.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Amber G.
on 5/4/14 4:09 pm
VSG on 04/02/14

I am one of those rare ones that did not gain any IV weight. You should start seeing weight come off within the week of surgery or the week after. 

Gwen M.
on 5/4/14 11:11 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I waited a week after surgery to start weighing and, since then, I weigh every day. Most days my weight is down from the previous day, every so often it's up. I use TrendWeight which really helps me to focus on the trend instead of on day to day fluctuations. It's nice to have a healthy relationship with the scale now :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics