Tell me about your hospital stay....

BeeSweet
on 5/4/14 7:36 am

My surgery was late in the afternoon. I don't remember anything that night except pushing the morphine button a few times. I drank warm tea and that's it. Nothing else tasted good. I had a private room and a friend stayed with me the two nights I was there. It was extremely quiet.  I stayed in bed when I wasn't up walking because of the leg compression machine and oxygen I was hooked up to.  Once I was released from the hospital, I have had no issues AT ALL. 

Good luck!!

Cindy B.
on 5/4/14 9:27 am
VSG on 10/22/12

If I remember correctly, the nursing staff only woke me up the first night after surgery to check my vitals. After that, they left me alone.

Yes, I slept pretty well during the nights. I made sure to have some pain medicine close to bedtime and I woke up in the middle of the nights to ask for more. I didn't use morphine. I just had something in my IV.

They left the IV in until after my leak test, which was on the second day if I remember right. I was allowed clear liquids, but didn't start protein shakes until after I was home a few days, then it was a (nasty) clear liquid protein until day 10. Then I was transitioned to full liquids where I was able to get in more protein. The liquids I was offered in the hospital were chamomile tea, broth, sugar free juice and sugar free warm Jello. The tea and the broth were fantastic!

I had a private room and my husband stayed with me. I was allowed to shower the morning after my surgery and was very thankful he was there to help me. He was not only my help and support, he was also fantastic about having me walk when I didn't always want to, which helped with the gas pain. He had the option to stay at a hotel, but chose to stay with me and help me instead. He only left to eat his meals.

I tried to only use the bed for sleeping. There was a chair and a fold out couch. I used them when I was awake and not walking. I was a bit drowsy and would take little naps in the chair or on the couch, but my real sleeping was saved for in the bed. We tried to walk about every hour or so, which really helped with everything.

Your surgery is down to only 2 days away! Good luck! I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

Kelly Jean
on 5/4/14 9:35 am
VSG on 04/08/14

You won't sleep the night before lol... I was to excited I was kinda like a kid on Xmas eve... I had to be at the hospital at 7 am by 8 I was being prepped. .. they gave me meds to relax me and they did... I got to say I love u and kiss my hubby good bye then got wheeled into the or which looks spooky and so white and so sterile but I think I remember being their for all of 3 mins and then it was lights out...when I awoke I was in my bed ..not a private room... I had a button to push meds and for my first day I did a ton of sleeping and pushing the med button... when I awoke I had apple juice tea and jello only clears for the first week. .. at about 12 I was sent for my leak test. .. it's not easy to get the liquid down but you have to do it. .. then back to the room and walk walk walk ..and sleep... I did have my husband there from morning till night and on the 2nd day my kids came... I was very sleepy I guess cause someone was always waking you to check vitals and those leg cuff are very annoying and omg I had to pee every hour ..so it's unhook leg get out of bed get to the bathroom get back to bed get hooked up again... so I couldn't wait to get home on the 3rd day at about 3 ish I was Released ..I got home I was going to plan to recoup in my den in a recliner ...nope to uncomfortable... so my amazing daughter who's bedroom is downstairs said mom take my room ..we had just right after Xmas bought her a new bed... One of those that has a remote so you can raise your head or feet and there is also a plug in it so I didn't have to get up to charge my phone... and the bathroom is right outside her room at was awesome... it rained for a few day straight so in did laps around my dinning room table.... 

Just remember to walk walk walk and drink drink drink...everything else will fall on place... best of luck to you! !

healthyme1963
on 5/4/14 9:46 am
RNY on 03/18/14

Hello ~  Please don't apologize for multiple posts.  That's exactly what this site is for - to ask questions and learn.  :) 

My hospital stay was great.  The nursing staff was phenomenal!  They did have to come in during the night (just once each night) to check vitals and do a finger poke, but I slept okay for the most part, so it wasn't too much of a hassle.

I was allowed nothing to drink, except for a few ice chips, until 24 hours after surgery.  Once they did the leak test, I was given water to sip slowly for the first day.  The next day they added broth and Crystal Light.

I was the lucky one on the ward; I was given a private room at the very end of the hall, so I wasn't near the noisy nurses station, plus I kept my door closed.  I like my privacy.

My husband was with me the day of surgery, but since I slept most of that day, I sent him home mid-afternoon.  No point him being there just to watch me sleep.  :)  The second day he came in the morning, but I sent him home after a few hours.  I, though, am the type of person who likes to be left alone when I'm recuperating from surgery/illness.  I don't like people hovering and hanging around.

I didn't experience much pain after surgery, so was up and out of bed walking quite a bit by the end of the first day.  I spent some time sitting in the chair in my room, but mostly just kept the bed head raised and sat on the bed.

Hang in there; you're almost there and it will be so worth it in the end!  I wish you the best of luck and great success!

Life is short, break the RULES, FORGIVE quickly, KISS slowly, LOVE truly, LAUGH uncontrollably, & NEVER REGRET anything that made you SMILE.  

Most Active
Recent Topics