Link to Tips on VSG??

Twinsinsept.
on 1/19/14 1:01 am
VSG on 05/06/14

As I'm waiting for final insurance approval, I'm compiling a list of tips and advice on my ipad. Is there one main link with lots of tips?  I hate to start a new thread for a subject I know has been covered many times. Looking for prep tips, hospital stay tips, first few weeks home tips etc.  

Thanks!!

HW: 345. CW 272

mickeymantle
on 1/19/14 1:22 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

3 tips for hospital stay you don't need to bring anything ,a few magazines are ok you will not read a book you will wear the hospital gown , they have tooth brushs and soup and shampoo ,

walk as much as possible

remember the pain button and use it if you have pain , you will not become addicted to it unless you already have a drug problem  and lack og pain helps you to heal faster 

2 prep responses do not buy to much of anything there tastes will change  and be prepared that you will not have to lift more than 10 lb for 6 weeks even your kids ,plan for it

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Gwen M.
on 1/19/14 1:35 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I've been working on a list based on the topics I see revisted here over and over.  It's still a work in progress, but I'm happy to share it with you in hopes that it will help you as it helps me!

WLS Promises

1. I will not panic if I stop losing weight for a few weeks.  Instead, I will re-evaluate that my eating is on plan and wait until the stall has lasted 4 weeks before I start to panic. 

2. I will not ask OH what I need to take to the hospital, I know these things.  Chapstick and a pillow.  And the pillow really just needs to be in the car for the trip home. 

3. I will not lie when people ask me how I’ve lost the weight.  I will either be honest and tell them “surgery, diet and exercise” or I will tell them “I’m not comfortable talking about this with you.”  These are the options, lying by omission is not one of them. 

4. If I fail, and I will fail, I will forgive myself and return immediately to plan.  It’s okay to screw up, it’s not okay to beat myself up for it or let it become the start of a downward spiral. 

5. If I don’t start losing sizes right away, I won’t freak out.  Chances are the clothes I wear now are too small and tight, and I just deal with it.  It might take awhile for my current clothes to fit correctly and that will happen before I can get into smaller sizes. 

6. I will own my mistakes.  They’re mine and result of my own choices, no one is ever going to hold a gun to my head and make me eat crap, I control what goes into my own body. 

7. I will not compare my weight loss to that of anyone else.  I’m me. 

8. I will do everything I can to find a therapist I can work with.  This will help me out in the long run. 

9. I will be hyper aware of potential addiction transfer issues and especially aware of getting too caught up in numbers as I already know I am want to do. 

10. Extra skin is a fact of life, get the **** over it.  If you really hate the way your body looks, save your pennies and nickels for plastic surgery once you’ve maintained for a year.  People will still have sex with me if I have weird skin, and Under Armour sells compression gear.  I will, however, have every issue with my skin documented. 

11. I will be kind to myself.  I will keep getting to my monthly massages, I will keep engaged in my hobbies, and I will spend time with my friends. 

12. I already know that being a “hero” about medication is stupid so I’ll work on remembering that when the time comes.  Pain keeps us from healing, it’s not noble. 

13. I will only weigh myself once a week.  I will not let myself get obsessed with the scale.  See #9.

14. My stomach will probably gurgle after surgery, this is normal.  Just don’t go to silent Meeting anytime soon. 

15. I will not worry if people don’t comment on my weight loss.  I will assume that they’re being polite and not commenting on another person’s body, which is what they should do. 

16. I will work to break the compulsions to “clean my plate” and to “not let food go to waste.”  Sure, there are starving kids in Africa, but throwing away food will not change the situation. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

71dart
on 1/19/14 2:04 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with

That's good stuff right there. 

Gwen M.
on 1/19/14 2:15 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Thanks!  Considering I'm still around two months out, I imagine it will grow significantly between now and when I have surgery.  But I come from a long line of list-makers, so this is one of those things that I do... know what I mean?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

frisco
on 1/19/14 3:12 am

- Get a good surgery

- Get on a known effective plan

- Move thy azz......

- Learn, learn, learn during WL to build a strong foundation for going into long term maintenance.......

- Commitment and compliance, Commitment and compliance, Commitment and compliance, Commitment and compliance, Commitment and compliance, Commitment and compliance, Commitment and compliance, Commitment and compliance, Commitment and compliance, Commitment and compliance, Commitment and compliance, Commitment and compliance, Commitment and compliance.........

Easy.......oh... and one more thing.....Commitment and compliance !!!!!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

TexasTerritory
on 1/19/14 4:25 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I chant commitment and compliance. I love these words.

Twinsinsept.
on 1/19/14 5:18 am
VSG on 05/06/14

These are great. Thanks so much. I added them all to my list. 

This is kind of off-topic, but I'm really struggling with  2+ month long food funeral.  I know my time is ending, and I feel like I have the "commitment and compliance" and absolutely plan on giving up sugar and soda forever (and re-joining OA).   SO, knowing that this is a forever commitment, I'm just eating everything in sight. I can't continue, or my clothes won't fit really soon, and i can't take any health risks this close to surgery. I've been through counseling, know how to work my plan etc. any advice?

thanks for your tips. Ill share my list when it's complete and edited. 

😃. Renee 

HW: 345. CW 272

The_True_KayD
on 1/20/14 1:13 am

Hospital. I traveled light. I had chapstick, breathspray, tooth paste and brush, deoderant, pair of pj bottoms and top, pillow for the ride home to hold against my stomach. 

Afterwards- Mantra "attitude, acceptance, and adjustment. I went into surgery with a positive attitude. I accepted that I need to eat what is on my plan, adjust to changes needed to successful. 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

Most Active
Recent Topics