Vegas Sur

shajoh
on 11/9/13 5:41 am - Cleburne, TX
VSG on 11/27/12

Does anyone know of a good bariatric surgeon in Las Vegas? How much are costs I Vegas. I have a family member interested. 

Sharla

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/13 1:55 pm - NV
VSG on 11/04/13

I just had surgery with Dr James Atkinson in Las Vegas this past Monday.  I did quite a bit of research in Las Vegas and found that his patients were very happy and that his complications rates were extremely low.  He started out as a trauma surgeon and has been doing bariatric surgery for 13 years.  (I liked the trauma surgeon part because it means he should be able to adapt surprises or unexpected findings in an instant).  I have been very happy with my experience so far.  He is not a warm and fuzzy surgeon so he's not going to hold your hand and tell you everything is going to be ok, but that was never an important factor for me.  I don't need to like him as a person, I just need to trust his surgical skill.  I was self-pay and I think it was just under $11,600.  Oh and btw my incisions look great!  :)

cocosmom
on 11/9/13 2:00 pm - NV
VSG on 09/11/13

I had Dr. Soong, he works with Dr. Atkinson.  My surgery was 9/11/13 and I have had no complications and am extremely happy with the service I received.  I had insurance so don't know what self pay will be but they take very good care of patients before and after surgery.

Somedude
on 11/9/13 5:45 pm
VSG on 10/31/13

I had my VSG done a week ago by Tom Umbach at Blossom Bariatrics and I have absolutely no complaints. Unlike some of the other surgeons you will be able to meet with him and ask him questions and he will take the time to answer everything you have on your mind, which unfortunately leads to a bit of a wait time at your appointments, but I don't mind waiting if it means I actually get a chance to be seen by the doc and have him take the time to receive my questions and hear my concerns.

Things went so well that I barely had any pain, did not take any pain killers after the first day, though I probably didn't even need them the first day to be honest. I've had no use for the nausea meds I was prescribed either. I was able to easily get down all my fluids and protein with no issue. In fact I had such an easy time of it I thought something might have been wrong and wondered if he even remembered to do the surgery or if he just poked some holes in my belly and called it a day.

Insurance covered my surgery so I am not sure what the out of pocket cost is but I think I read it was around 12k for self pay. His staff is wonderful, and a couple of them have had bariatric surgery done by him. I suggest that your family member research all of their options and especially read reviews of the surgeons and their support staff.

Most Active
Recent Topics