Sips?

Anne64
on 6/21/13 7:59 am
VSG on 06/19/13
I had surgey on Wednesday. I am having major difficulty getting my water in.

How much qualifies as a "sip"

Thanks,
Anne

HW: 260 SW:233  CW: 159 Pre-surgery loss -27 Month One: -16.5. Month Two: -14.5 Month Three: -14 Month Four: -8  Month Five: -8  Months 6 - 9 total: 17

UniqueAmbition
on 6/21/13 8:07 am - NC

i too had my surgery then and would like to know that answer

Donnab62
on 6/21/13 8:13 am
VSG on 04/29/13

My nutritionist said to take a 1 oz medicine cup and make at least 3 sips out of it. Then drink between 4 and 8 ozs of water an hour. It is an all day job at first, especially when you have to seperate your food and drink. It is doable and very important! Good luck!

Donna

emelar
on 6/21/13 8:15 am - TX

Take a teaspoon.  Use it to drink.  If you have no problem getting that amount down, then go up to a tablespoon.  You'll be surprised how fast those teaspoons and tablespoons add up.

Getting enough fluid is your job right now.  Even more important than protein.  So keep working on it.  Try differen****er temperatures and see what goes down easiest.  And try to remember that this isn't forever; it's just for now!

Anne64
on 6/21/13 8:32 am
VSG on 06/19/13

I like the tsp/tablespoon idea!  How often between ssips

HW: 260 SW:233  CW: 159 Pre-surgery loss -27 Month One: -16.5. Month Two: -14.5 Month Three: -14 Month Four: -8  Month Five: -8  Months 6 - 9 total: 17

emelar
on 6/21/13 8:44 am - TX

As quick as you're comfortable with.  You're still dealing with a swollen tummy, so give the water a chance to gurgle its way down!

Hadrian
on 6/21/13 8:44 am
VSG on 06/13/13
You'll know. You'll feel each one go all the way down, then swab with gas, etc. like 30 sec -1 min for me at first. Now, 10 secs.
Smcquithy
on 6/21/13 9:20 am

I don't understand why the importance of the water other than hydration. They have never told me why. I'm just curious.

i don't mean to sound stupid, sorry. 

gettingwhatIwant
on 6/21/13 10:15 am - NY

I'm no scientist or medical professional but  bear with me (was that the right "bear")? And if someone has better technical knowledge please correct me. But this is how it was explained to me...

Well hydration is pretty important and nothing  to sneeze at especially after a high trauma event like a surgery when your body is super stressed out and you don't want it to lack for anything it needs when it's already so overwhelmed..Hydration effects blood consistency and volume which effects how quickly it gets around which in turn effects how quickly your organs get the oxygen and nutrients they need. Ever had blood drawn  early in the morning and had it come out looking like syrup...yeah that's dehydrated blood and it's slow.

.but if you want  WLS specific reasons...two words...fat metabolism. Ever wonder where the fat goes? I mean it's a substance that has volume and weight ( obvi) and it has a waste product. It goes somewhere- mostly into our urine. We also exhale it- but that's harder for our body to do so Urine. Also- our kidneys need plenty of water to do their jobs and when they are under resourced  their work gets picked up by the liver- the liver that is responsible for...drum roll...metabolism.

But aside from all that- especially post op- you'll just feel better when you are hydrated- at least I did. All I wanted for two weeks was glass after glass of ice cold water.

Smcquithy
on 6/21/13 10:37 am

Thank you. That did make sense. I appreciate you explaining it to me.  

Most Active
Recent Topics