Surgery Wednesday: need closet advice

Anne64
on 6/14/13 11:54 pm
VSG on 06/19/13

Hi all,

This may be a silly question, but....I am having my surgery wednesday.  I was thinking of purging my closet of fall and winter items that are my current size.  Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Anne

HW: 260 SW:233  CW: 159 Pre-surgery loss -27 Month One: -16.5. Month Two: -14.5 Month Three: -14 Month Four: -8  Month Five: -8  Months 6 - 9 total: 17

grayC
on 6/15/13 12:07 am
VSG on 05/01/13
I did it...and I did it with GLEE!!!
Have fun!!

claimmaster
on 6/15/13 12:11 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I was thinking of doing it, too, but for some reason I'm scared to do it.  My winter clothes are the only clothes I have that I currently wear that I like, and it makes me really nervous getting rid of them.  I should take the plunge, shouldn't I?

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

Sandy M.
on 6/15/13 12:33 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Good idea!  Most of this journey is a mental one, and to face up to your fear that "you'll only gain it back" is a positive step forward!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

jenn227
on 6/15/13 1:26 am - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

Go for it!  I purged my closet as I started to outgrow my clothes and had to start buying new ones.  It's been fun! (a little too fun sometimes lol....gotta chill out since I don't plan on being this new size too long!).  Don't be afraid of doing it...you will NOT be this size again!

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

Christyb17
on 6/15/13 2:15 am - Long Beach, CA
VSG on 06/04/13
I'm still scared to get rid of my clothes. I'm a week and a half out and still fit in all the same clothes I wore before despite losing 15 lbs. I've lost it in places that make my clothes look better on but not make them small yet. I'm dying to purge and I know that when I do its all gone but for now I'm hesitant!

VSG June 4, 2013

HW - 271.4     SW - 263     CW - 159

Vanessa_M
on 6/15/13 2:41 am

When it was time to change my closets from winter clothes to summer clothes I had to call friends and family to see what I should do.  Everyone said to donate my winter clothes to a local charity.  I was scared, but I did it.  Today I realized that I didn't get rid of my winter coats (I have a lot).  While I was packing them up to give to a friend, I had a lot of negative self talk in my head.  I kept thinking I may still need those coats next year.  It was hard, but now they are all gone.  I've given myself nothing to fall back on.  It's scary, but it's fun!  Go for it!

VSG Surgery 4/30/2013

Dr. Rohit Patel, Cooper University Hospital 

defygravity
on 6/15/13 4:58 pm - NE
VSG on 07/10/13
Once I got my date I started bagging up my winter clothes. My surgery is July 10th and I'm determined that the size I wore last year will not be the size I wear this year. I say GO FOR IT!!

~ Colleen                                       Instagram

"It is our choices... far more than our abilities that determine who we are."         

HW 232; SW 223; 1stGW 199;  2ndGW 170  

MacMadame
on 6/15/13 6:11 pm, edited 6/15/13 6:12 pm - Northern, CA

Back in 1986 or so, I took this class in how to dress and wear makeup and stuff. One of the classes was about shopping and organizing your closet. Something they said was that if you have **** in your closet that you don't wear, that it still prevents you from replacing that item. It's like your life has a slot in it for Navy Dress Pants and the ones in your closet fill that slot even if they don't fit right or are ratty or have that stain.

So, you need to toss those.

They also said that, if something had been in your closet for an entire year, and it wasn't some special purpose outfit (like a ****tail dress or a wetsuit), that if you hadn't worn it in a year, you weren't going to. You've been through all the seasons and not worn it so you never are and it's taking up a slot.

So toss those too.

Then replace them with good stuff that fits and you actually wear.

I've followed this advice ever since then and not just for clothes. So when I had WLS, I continued to follow it and I never had anything in my closet that I couldn't wear. As soon as it got so big that I stopped wearing it, it got tossed in the Goodwill pile!

Which is a long-winded way of saying: toss those suckers!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Recent Topics