eating clean/real food

slatond
on 6/12/13 4:59 am

I wish I could come and eat w/ you and have you as my personal chef :-)

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 6/12/13 5:03 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Anytime!!! You are most welcome!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Anne64
on 6/12/13 4:54 am
VSG on 06/19/13

Good to hear!  I have just seen a lot of processed cheese, sausage,  yogurt, etc in the posts.  That is not to say that people can't or shouldn't eat it.  I just am trying to get back to basic food.  For example, turkey.  When you roast a turkey breast it is turkey and whatever seasoning you put on it.  When you eat Oscar Meyer turkey here is the ingredients: TURKEY BREAS****ER, MODIFIED CORN STARCH,SODIUM LACTATE, SALT, SUGAR, SODIUM PHOSPHATES, CARRAGEENAN, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM DIACETATE, SODIUM ASCORBATE, SODIUM NITRITE, CARAMEL COLOR. (not my caps....I copied and pasted :-)  )

Same with many yogurts on the market.  I am allergic to aspartame and did not like the newest research on sucralose.  Since I stopped eating sugar in March I have lost my cravings and would like to keep it that way.

mimij
on 6/12/13 4:57 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

When I eat yogurt I prefer Fage 0% total plain. I cut up a couple strawberries and add stevia for flavor.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

ParisGirl
on 6/12/13 5:10 am
VSG on 04/25/13

You should sign up for MFP (My Fitness Pal) if you haven't already.  There are a lot of clean eating people, like Mimi, Wantmylife and myself.  It's great to see what others eat. 

I was a vegetarian pre-op and slowing started introducing meats about 5 months pre-op.  Fish and chicken are my go-to's right now. You may see a chicken sausage here and there, but there are many now that are pretty clean and without nitrates.

So glad you're making great choices already! You're way ahead of the game.

missthingg
on 6/12/13 5:14 am - memphis, TN

WTW why do you need all of that to make Turkey??? I cook my own meats but this is interesting!

hollykim
on 6/12/13 7:30 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

the manufacturer put all that crap  and preservatives and stuff in there to make it refrigerator shelf stable for weeks....

AnnieinIA
on 6/12/13 4:57 am
Your note made me smile. I do focus on eating foods as closely as is reasonable to how they occur in nature.

I was a whole food vegan pre-op. once I get to maintenance I plan to reduce the meat consumption significantly, although I am not sure a vegan lifestyle is feasible.

I agree - there seem to be many here who eat lots of processed food - but there are also those who don't.

A
hollykim
on 6/12/13 7:39 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

DH and I eat clean most of the time. I make homemade crackers and cookies for him,homemade lunch meat,homemade salad dressings,home made spice mixes like taco,etc. I make homemade grain free granola for him. I cook real meat and fresh veggies from a Mennonite farmer that we get in a CSA. we have backyard chickens for fresh free range eggs,raw milk and butter  from a Mennonite dairy farmer.

We eat grain free also as we are trying to control out cholesterol without the use of statins and it is working. We eat limited fruit cause the sugar in it stalls my weight loss and too much of any kind of sugar is not good for him.

We don't use artificial sweeteners as they are very unhealthy. We use stevia which is derived from plants and is natural. I use protein shakes that have very few ingredients and use stevia to sweeten.

We eat nothing that comes prepackaged in a box.  if it comes in a box,I can usually find a recipe to make a close substitute homemade. If I can't find a recipe we do without it.

movis
on 6/13/13 12:09 pm
VSG on 07/16/13
I have a yogurt maker and we make yogurt and then strain it to make greek yogurt. My husband and I love this with fresh fruit and no sweetener. You save a lot of calories and carbs. We find commercially prepared yogurts way too sweet.
Most Active
Recent Topics