eating clean/real food

Anne64
on 6/12/13 4:11 am
VSG on 06/19/13

Hi all,

I have posted before about  my presurgery change in how I eat:  VERY little processed foods ****asional Sabra hummus or mayo), as much fresh fruits and veggies as possible along with lean protein.  I have eliminated all processed sugars (including maple syrup and honey at this point), as well as artificial sweetners...except for my daily protein shake which will of course become much more often after surgery.  As I read posts and daily menus I have not seen much from anyone that eats what I would call a "clean" diet (as described above)

Any "clean" post-sleevers our there?

PS....when I describe that I don't eat any processed foods the most common response I get is...."well then what DO you eat" as if there are no other choices other than processed!

mimij
on 6/12/13 4:29 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

Today I had About Time protein shake and coffee for breakfast. Homemade baked salmon, green leaf lettuce with shaved parmesean salad, and I am having homemade prime rib of beef and green beans for dinner. That is my idea of clean. Yours?

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

jacreasy
on 6/12/13 4:35 am
VSG on 04/23/12

i USE ABOUT TIME AS WELL!! Did you put it in your coffee? If so how did you make it? I LOVE the Choc. Peanut Butter and its on back order they don't know when they will get it I want to CRY!

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

mimij
on 6/12/13 4:55 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I love the choc peanut butter too. If you lived close I would share with you.

I do different variations of this, but today I used 8 oz almond milk, 6 oz brewed decaf that I ice down before adding to the protein and milk, 1 scoop About Time Mocha Mint, and 2 tsp SF Torani peppermint. I have a shake about every other day 'cause its the only way I can get my crushed super B complex vitamin down. I add the crushed vitamin to the shake and I never taste it.

I have used About Time Vanilla, Cinnamon Swirl and Birthday cake with SF Vanilla or Caramel Torani and they are all good.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

jacreasy
on 6/12/13 6:13 am
VSG on 04/23/12
So its cold coffee? I know the protein cant get too hot :( I just ordered choc and I will just hav to add some PB2!!

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

Anne64
on 6/12/13 4:55 am
VSG on 06/19/13

That sounds a lot like my diet...except I love to have some fruit.  Yum (when should I arrive for the prime rib??)

Anne

mimij
on 6/12/13 5:00 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

Prime rib will be served at 6pm give or take! Come on over.

Lexie 84
on 6/12/13 4:33 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12

Most people here DO eat clean...the average diet on here consists of lean protein first, and then veggies, some fruit, nuts, etc. People who stick to plan eat like this. Outside of the other major sources of protein that we often use like protein shakes, protein bars, greek yogurt, we stick to meat and veggies, low carb, which by default has us following primal/paleo/atkins type diets. It's clean! :) May not always be 100%...but at least 75% for me. However, I do use artificial sweeteners (liquid sucralose/stevia so that i don't get carbs/calories from the dextrose and maltodextrin that is added to the powder kind for bulk) but that doesn't make your diet unclean. Some people stray away from the artificial sweeteners b/c it triggers their carb monster, but if it doesn't bother you, I don't see anything wrong with liquid artificial sweeteners.

AdeanaMarie
on 6/12/13 4:42 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

I try to eat clean, but I still eat processed things, such as cheese, greek yogurt and some processed meats, but without the nitrates.  I still do a protein shake every day for breakfast, 15 months post-op.  Love the convenience and the energy it gives me.  I use PlantFusion, dairy free, soy free, gluten free and is sweetened with Stevia.  I still eat sugar, but have been trying to cut back.  Basically, fruits, veggies, meats, eggs, nuts, etc...  I am gluten free and trying to stay away from other grains as well, peanuts too.  Sort of my version of the Christian Paleo/Primal diet.  Meaning, I take some of the food advice, but cast the evolution stuff to the side. 6 days of Creation and 1 day of rest, is what it says in my Bible.  :O)

I feel awful when eating artificial sweeteners, other than Stevia, so I stay away from them and keep Stevia to a miniumum.  I also do full fat cheeses and full fat greek yogurt.  Lots of additives when you start trying to make things fat free.  

The cleaner I eat, the better I feel.  In regards to weight loss, it can only help you.  Just like anything else, it is about calories going in, calories going out, exercise, keeping hydrated, getting enough sleep and laughing as much as possible in this life, along with counting the blessings.  Eating clean, well, what goes in does make a huge difference.  All calories are NOT equal.  Keep up the good work and I will try to do better too.  Ice cream has been a thorn in my side lately.  :O)

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 6/12/13 4:45 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I eat totally all real food...which I buy mostly at a farmer's market so it does not have a bar code or any list of ingredients. What you see is what you eat. A tomato is only a tomato. I get all my eggs, nuts, raisins, fruit, vegetables, herbs, oils, olives, meat fish and poultry there too. As well as milk and yogurt, cheese and butter. The only things I get in a supermarket are sardines, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, tuna, chick peas - I make hummus myself... I make bolognaise from fresh tomatoes...no canned stuff. This part was not any different before surgery. This is how I have always lived. Mine was a classic case of too much of a good thing! And I did indulge in some pretty amazing breads and pastries before. Not so much now...

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active
Recent Topics