X-Post, making a wedding cake

Linda B.
on 4/26/13 6:41 am - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

Well, this is my first big baking project since DH had his VSG 16 months ago. I'm baking a wedding cake for my son's BF. I know I will need to taste the trimmings and the frosting to be sure the flavor is correct. But I plan on also having my son taste even though he hates cake. Since I have not eaten sugary foods in a long time, I can't really trust my taste buds to be sure the cake is as it should be. It is a red velvet cake and will have nautical decorations as the groom serves the USA in the Navy. I am hoping it turns out as expected even though I am now having trouble channeling my inner pastry chef. I just hope that the small taste doesn't trigger anything. I do plan on eating a protein rich meal first, I don't even want to be hungry when I take that bite. Oh, for the record, red velvet cake is, or at was, my favorite. I agreed to do the cake because years ago, I promised this young man that when the time came, his cake would be his wedding gift. VSG or not, I'm not about to break a promise.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

shrinking_sarah
on 4/26/13 6:54 am - CA

I tasted frosting when making my daughter's bday cupcakes (not nearly as ambitious as your project), and it didn't trigger cravings.  Post pictures when you are finished!  I love seeing fancy cakes (even though I don't make them myself).

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

MuttLover
on 4/26/13 11:15 am
VSG on 11/14/12

I LOVE baking as well, and have gone completely cold turkey!  Well, except for low carb variations, which typically result in at least channeling the desire to bake, but don't produce anything that would remotely cause a craving!  LOL -- usually I eat one of whatever it is, and the rest go in the freezer until they are too old, and then get thrown out. 

I've determined that I could make a cake while in weight loss -- but no cookies, cupcakes, brownies or anything that is "bite-sized" -- I know I'd pop one in my mouth, then another, etc. 

Be sure to start right after you have eaten, so you won't be hungry!

Kudos to you for keeping your promise!  (Red velvet is a family favorite here as well, and I make a mean one!)

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Most Active
Recent Topics