panic has set in...going on vacation at almost 5 mnths

Amiee3
on 4/18/13 11:25 pm - TX
VSG on 12/04/12
Ok so up until this morning I was to busy to think about what the heck will I do for food and or snacks while traveling...mainly while in the air...suggestions welcome. Thinking protein bars but can I get trough security with them?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Birdie55
on 4/18/13 11:33 pm

I have traveled a number of times since my surgery.  

I always take pre-measured powdered protein drink in small snack baggies and a shaker jar with my vitamins in my carryon bag.  I also take 1 protein bar for each day of my trip, just in case I need more protein or just need a quick meal.  I have taken jerky, almonds and string cheese also.  String cheese only lasts a couple of day not refrigerated, but it depends on whether you are taking a car trip or flying somewhere.  I usually fly, so take those items in my backpack.  

You can carry an empty bottle in your carry on too; I often take a stainless bottle and leave it in the water bottle carrier part of my backpack with the lid off (so security can easily see it is empty).  Security is not concerned about food your bag, only liquids and the other things that are not allowed.  I have never had them question my protein powder, even on international flights.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

Amiee3
on 4/19/13 6:17 am - TX
VSG on 12/04/12

Thanks Birdie55,

I have my protien powder to supplement while I'm there, but I was worried about the almost 6 hours on the plane without a good protien option, I looked at the menu going to Hawaii and it was nothing but carbs and freaked out. I will be taking my camelbak eddie as well, can't believe I didn't think about that!

We have a condo there so I can stock up on good choices, it was just the flight over and back that I started to panic about.

Amiee

Kelly-AnneH
on 4/19/13 1:22 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I was surprised when I was allowed to take a protein shake I'd forgotten was in my carry-on once I told the security person that I had it because I've had gastric surgery. He said,"medical" and tossed it back into my bag. I'm talking about a sealed, premade one - not mixed at home, which I think would be unreasonable to expect them to accept. The online guidelines say that liquids required for medical conditions are acceptable. If you put the shake out so it's visible and either have a note on it or briefly explain why you have it you likely won't have a problem.

US airports generally have protein shakes in the shops after you get through security. Canadian ones don't, but they have Milk 2 Go, tuna kits, hard boiled eggs and jerky if you didn't pack yourself a "lunch."

Protein bars sail through security without issue, as do tuna kits, string cheese, yogurt cups containing 100ml or less, jerky, turkey bites, baggies of high protein cereal (I like Hi Lo and Special K Protein), nuts, hard boiled eggs, chicken salad, single serving baggies of protein shake powders and a bottle to mix in,

I tend to overpack, so now I divide my traveling time by 3, add 1, and make up that number of small "meals" for myself. A few meal ideas: 1-2 hard boiled eggs with salt and pepper packets, tuna kit, 1/2 cup container with chicken or egg salad, 1/2 cup container of high protein cereal (ask for milk), string cheese wrapped in a slice or 2 of tasty cold cuts, Greek yogurt cup with a tiny ziplock of slivered almonds.

I travel quite a lot and have gradually found many easy options. Where I run into problems is beverages, since too much Splenda gives me diarrhea, and some bottled waters don't sit well. So - I carry a small filter bottle that I can fill at any fountain or ask for coffee or boiled water. Plain milk also works for me.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Amiee3
on 4/19/13 6:22 am - TX
VSG on 12/04/12

Thanks Kelly Anne, I got some powder because I didn't think they'd let me bring my RTD's...But next time I will get a Dr. note letting them know it's medical. Wow, the last time I had a candy bar (pre-surgery) they wouldn't let me through (probably for my owngood..hehehee) with it. Maybe they've let up a bit since their letting us bring small knifes now they figure food won't hurt???

Awesome suggestions, I guess I went into panic mode this morning and the brain shut off!

Thanks ladies, I travel again in June and will show up like a pro next time because of ya'll!

Have a great one,

Amiee

Kelly-AnneH
on 4/19/13 10:57 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
If you go to the TSA site and rummage around you'll find their rules on carrying liquids. I found it interesting that they even have a card you can print out where you can put your reason for the "medical fluids."

They say that you don't need a Dr's note - just to briefly say why you need the item, or hand the officer the card.

It's always worth checking for any changes. When we flew home from NB in February they allowed my protein shake, but took away my small butter knife (packed for spreading tuna on crackers) because "a knife is a knife."

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Most Active
Recent Topics