Hello!

PhillyGator
on 2/23/13 6:50 am

Hi everyone!

I'm a new member to this forum, although I've been peaking at it from time to time over the last few months. frown After what seems like forever to get to this point, I have my surgery scheduled for 3/4. It's been a very speedy process that started in mid-January at the current doctor and as much as I am thankful for this, I'm getting nervous that I haven't done enough research as far as the post-op diets and such.

I'm 22 years old and currently in graduate school. I have my mid-terms this Wednesday and start my liquid diet on Thursday for surgery over my Spring Break. Luckily, I have very supportive parents, but I was hoping y'all could give me any suggestions or pointers on what to prepare for pre- and post-op. I'm actually an RN and as much as I know about the surgery, I'm going to be the one out of commission when I'm usually taking care of everyone else, so I've been trying to warn my parents ahead of time what to expect.

Today my Mom and I went and got all my vitamins, calcium and the Lean Shake 25 from GNC. I tried a sample of them and found them pretty tolerable. I'm very open to any suggestions though. I'm mainly worried for when I start classes back up. I have a hard time with drinking enough fluids at present, I'm just not sure how post-op I'm going to be much better.

Any and all comments are welcome. I look forward to getting to know y'all. Hope you have a great weekend!

Beth

http://weightnolongerajourney.blogspot.com/

starry957
on 2/23/13 7:39 am

Hello!  Good luck with your liquid diet and congrats!  Nice to "meet" you!

Kerry

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

Jls8877
on 2/23/13 7:41 am
Welcome Beth!
Congratulations and good luck on your journey.
The only advice I have for right after surgery is to get up and move as soon and as much as you can. Drink!
Best wishes!
Julie
JAlston
on 2/23/13 8:01 am
VSG on 12/07/12

Premier protein chocolate shakes are my favorite ready to drink and they are cheap. You can buy them at Sam's/Costco's for $25 for an 18 pack. !60 calories, 30 grams of protein. 

I also drink Unjury chicken soup and chocolate splendor. Chicken soup is by far my most favorite.

Drinking really is a full time job in the beginning and you need to be committed to it or you can end up in the hospital. You can get dehydrated very quickly. You will be sipping all the time at first until the swelling goes down and you are able to drink a little more quickly. You probably wont be able or want to gulp like you might now in a hurry. Try practicing getting in at least 64 oz now and eating slower. These are things you need to relearn for post op.

Good luck!

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

lucy2e
on 2/23/13 9:40 am - Laurel, MD

Hi and welcome!

Congrats on your process being speedy - its a long haul for many on here!

A few tips - for the hospital take some Berts Bees or Lypsil for your lips - you will fee so dried out it will make you feel really nice!

Post op - your new mantra will be sip, walk, rest, repeat.  Be very kind to yourself - the first week is the worst - after that you feel much better.  Don't be surprised if vitamins and protein shakes that tasted great and sat fine with you pre-op just don't work post op.  Often your tastes change post-op - I know mine did!

Good luck!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

(deactivated member)
on 2/23/13 9:44 am

Hi Beth,

i am having surgery 3/6.  Good luck. The approach I am taking is to follow instructions and focus on the fact that a year from now I will feel so much healthier, energetic and happy. I may be feeling differently the day of, but when I start to over think it I try to remember that.

Again good luck and keep in touch.

Kathy

HeartOnMySleeveVSG
on 2/23/13 10:33 am

Best of luck! I'm a newbie too... Hoping for an early April surgery date.  Friend-ing you!

kimmiegirl411
on 2/23/13 10:57 am - FL
VSG on 02/25/13

Hi Beth I'm new to this forum also but I've been reading post for some time.  I'm scheduled to have my surgery on Monday the 25th I'm real nervous that I won't  get all my protein and fluids in and I've been trying all kinds I like premier protein the best and I've been trying the unjury chicken not the greatest but if it gives me extra protein I'm going to do it.  I wish you the best of  luck keep us all postedkiss

PhillyGator
on 2/25/13 10:53 am

Thanks for all the kind posts!

I had my pre-admission testing today and it went as well as it can, I suppose. It's finally hitting me that this is really happening. Been trying to clean my apartment out of the not so good stuff for the next few weeks. I know I'll eventually be able to have some of my fruits and veggies back, just don't want to be tempted on the liquid diet. I've also been trying to drink. The techs had a hard time finding my vein for a blood draw this morning, so that pretty much woke up to the drinking part. Pulled my old Nalgene out and figure if I drink at least two of those, that should be perfect.

I really do appreciate your kinds words. It's a very weird transition for me right now. I'm so focused on my exams this week and I've been keeping so busy that I almost forget this is really happening. I'm ready for a new beginning though. And I think so is my back! haha

Have a great week!

http://weightnolongerajourney.blogspot.com/

Most Active
Recent Topics