You ate off plan... Now what?

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/13 12:51 am

I have no time for games.  As it is, I end up writing a short book every time I try to deal with the head issue.  :)  There is so much to say and a short post just scratches the surface of what needs to be said. Even if we know all of this, we all need to be reminded on a regular basis in order to keep it on our "table" for thought.

sleevegirl
on 1/27/13 9:01 pm - Austin, TX

This was me yesterday afternoon. But I've learned to shrug it off and move on. It's going to happen to us all. I slip up about once every two weeks now... it was more often in the middle and it was less often in the beginning. It's all a learning and healing process. ((HUGS))

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/13 12:53 am

You have a good therapist that is helping you through the morass that our thoughts and feelings can get tangled up in so easily.  You have build the support system to get you right back to your feet and going in the right direction.  We all need that on our journey.  You have this figured out and it now works for you and will continue to work for you. 

HilaryH8103
on 1/27/13 9:17 pm - WA
On January 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM Pacific Time, Elina_7 wrote:

I see and hear about this all the time, we are human and sometimes we fail to live up to our very high expectations of ourselves.  Sometimes, regardless of our best intentions, we fall down, we get distracted and we eat off plan.  It happens and if it only happens a few times, you are one of the lucky ones.  The key question is what to do after the fall.  I believe that having a strategy in place for these moments is important, it can be the difference between catching yourself after one meal or catching yourself after 50 pounds of regain.

I have two goals to achieve when I fall short of my expectations.  The fist goal is to get myself to get right back on the program and the second goal is to analyze what happened and learn from it so that it will be less likely to happen again.

Achieving the first goal is always easier when I follow these steps.

1) I notice the change in my behavior-  No more playing ostrich with my weight.  I weigh myself every single day and I chart my weight.  I also honestly assess my food choices for each meal.  Lying to myself about my eating is not going to happen again as it no longer works for my lifestyle. or meets my goals and needs.

2) I immediately forgive myself- There is no room in my inventory for shame or anger.  These feelings only start and perpetuate a cycle of more shame, blame and anger, often followed by depression.  I don't need this cycle to get myself better.  These emotions are not helpful to my cause.  I am stronger and therefore can make better choices when I come from empowerment rather than shame.  Sometimes, if the feelings of shame or anger are too strong to just let them go, I will actually journal to myself will a plan of action and focus my mind on being proactive for the next meal or the next day.

3) I immediately pre-plan and journal my next meal and possibly the next day's meals as I know I need to get right back to my plan.  I will also prepare the next meal and have it ready.  If it's at the end of the day, I prepare the food for the next day and have it ready to go. 

First goal met, I then move to my second goal.  I know from experience that my biggest "slips" have led to my most important lessons.  I have no intention of forgoing an important learning moment and then repeating the pattern. I want to understand the underlying dynamics of my behavior, in order to do this I journal the answers to the following questions-

1) Right before the behavior, what thoughts or feelings did I have about this behavior.  In other words, what did I tell myself about why this was OK.  Was I trying to treat myself with food?  Did I tell myself that I have maintained long enough, and one small bite wouldn't really do much? Did I just give myself card blanche to do whatever I wanted and deal with the consequences later? What ever my thoughts were, it is interesting for me to note them and not judge them.

2) What need was this food fulfilling for me?  Is this how I feel my mother's love; through her home cooked meals, does this get me what I really want?  Do I feel more social if I indulge at a social occasion?  Do I feel pressure to conform to what other people are doing around me? 

3) Is there another way I could get that same need met through other sources?  Could I treat myself to a pedicure instead of a dinner out?  Could I celebrate a special occasion by going out to the theater with my husband rather than a new restaurant?  Could I turn my mother's cake down but invite to a spa day instead?  How can I get as much or more of what I really need without the extra food?

4) What are the new strategies that I am going to implement that will greatly reduce the chance of this happening next time?  Can I make them very specific and when can I try them out next?

5) How am I going to reward myself for choosing one of my new strategies rather than just doing what I have always done?

Rinse and Repeat as needed.  :)

Perfect!!! Thank You.

Hilary
Steph4575
on 1/27/13 9:32 pm - TX

Love this, thank you so much for posting and for the reminder.  I've fallen off the wagon, we are in the process of moving and between the stress of moving and finances I allowed myself too many indulgences.  I have now gained 2 lbs as of this morning and that is just NOT okay in my book.  As it stands, I never made it to my goal (135), I always hung out around 140, so I'm going to make it more of my goal to read that 135 mark.  Its only 7 lbs, but its 7 lbs that need to go.  I'm going to get a calendar and put it in my bathroom so that every morning, when I weigh myself, I can track it.  For a long time, I only weighed myself once a week, and now I'm seeing that I need to weigh myself daily again.  =)  Thanks for this post!

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/13 12:56 am

Seven pounds is so very doable.  I think it's a great goal to set. I am hoping that you have thought through and written some behavior goals that will help you meet your weight goal.  The behavior goals should always be the real goals as they are the only ones that are fully under our control.  I hope the behavior goals are very specific, have verbs in them and can easily be measured.   Good luck to you and let me know how it's going.

susanlynnf
on 1/28/13 12:55 am

Elina- Your posts are always pertinent and helpful! THIS hobby of yours helps so many of us!! Thank you so very much.

Sue
(deactivated member)
on 1/28/13 1:02 am

Thank you.  My husband does wonder about My sanity once in a while.  He keeps asking why I feel the need to keep posting here all these years later.  The truth is that I get as much out of it as the newbies do.  This site keeps me engaged in my own recovery and allows me to give back while receiving the energy and support from so many others. It allows me to never forget where I started from and hold the light and point out a path for those that are just navigating their way to their goals.  I think it is a form of volunteerism.  Every one who volunteers always gets just as much back as what they give out.  This is just an area that I feel very passionate about.

I am glad that you can find some value in my post and that it makes a positive impact on your journey.