You ate off plan... Now what?

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/13 12:35 am

I hope there are others out there that can make use of these simple questions to find their own strategies and solutions.  I think people often feel lost within their own heads.  Having a guide might be helpful, it never takes place of real therapy, but having at least some sign posts might help people figure it out or point them in the right direction.  You are so very analytical in your approach, it is always a pleasure to share strategies with you. Hugs right back.

christinahelena
on 1/27/13 3:52 pm - CA
Fantastic post Elina! Thank you! I will read this one often! So discouraged right now and do want to eat away those feelings... But I won't . Just cannot get the scale to move ! Despite burni g 380 calories in the gym daily.... Scale is holding fast! The stalls take such a toll, the self doubt, what am I doing Wrong? Comes into play! I'm going crazy!!!! Going to stay the course! Take out my frustration at the gym!!!
Christina
(deactivated member)
on 1/28/13 12:38 am

If you are following the plan, you know the weight will come off.  Stalls happen, I was a stair step loser myself and eventually realized that what I was experiencing were not stalls, just my natural losing process.  Trust the program and if you need advice or support, you know where to get it.

1) Dr. Cirangle and/or Gabriella

2) Our group on OH

3) Here

4) You can call any one of us/ for example, ME :)

christinahelena
on 1/28/13 5:21 am - CA

I know :) I just need to hang in there through it... I sm following plan, upping water and protein, carbs to 30 or less... Just like ya taught me, so eventually the scale  is going to move!!!!

Christina 

Lynnegetsbrave
on 1/27/13 3:59 pm

What I think makes you so successful is your insight about the mind/body/food connection for you.  While I did not have surgery until December I lurked on this site for many months trying to gain wisdom and plan for what I would do post-op.  I often see people who are less successful talking about how they did not overeat, ate pretty healthy, exercised etc.  I understood then why they were struggling with weight loss and not being as successful as the wanted to be.  Honesty is the first thing that has to arrive.  We didn't get obese by happenstance.  We didn't wake up one morning and suddenly our bodies are 100 times less effective in metabolizing and utilizing the food we eat.  We ate for a reason.  I often tell people that when you have feelings that are difficult to cope with or that you want to ignore, you have to have a storage area for them.  We build that storage area by stuffing those feelings with food.  Different foods relate to different feelings.  Until we know and understand that, we will struggle, that is why this surgery is only ONE tool.  That is why people regain their weight, because while they were able to maintain "the diet" for a period of time, they fell back into old behaviors because they lost their "extra storage area."  Your points are so on target and so important for people to hear, understand, and put into action.  Many people can't do it for themselves and there is no sin in getting help from a professional as long as that professional really understands how food and feelings are related.  Many do not.  Did you know in the latest version of the DSM...obesity or over-eating is now a diagnosis.  I am glad to see it finally being recognized instead of being poo poo'd away as not a "true" eating disorder.  Thanks for your words and thoughts Elina.  You are a great example.

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/13 12:48 am

It sure took them long enough to include obesity and over-eating in the DSM.   I have been ranting about this for many years.  I think it was mostly excluded because of the persistent prejudice and refusal to look at data that was staring them in the face for years.  I will get off of my soap box now, but it has been a real struggle to get a code for a disorder that has such an obvious psychological component.  Just follow the politics and the money of the whole situation and things become rather clear. 

In any case, I was really happy to see that they finally included it. 

I realize that my posts can never take place of what most people with obesity really need, some excellent therapy as an adjunct to the VSG, but at least they might find some truths and signposts to get them to their next step. 

I really don't think I would have been as successful without the dealing with so many of my own head issues around food, on the other hand, I wasn't able to solve the problem with psychology alone either.  I really believe that we need to deal with obesity from a multidisciplinary perspective to keep the weight off long term.

Lynnegetsbrave
on 1/28/13 4:03 am

I agree with you...if counseling alone could take care of it...I sure as heck wouldn't have needed the surgery...but it is what it is...lol...and I am glad I am on this side of it starting this journey instead of waiting for the journey to begin.

71dart
on 1/27/13 6:28 pm
VSG on 08/06/12 with
That's a keeper. Bookmarked and copied into iNotes for reference. Thank you.

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/13 12:48 am

My pleasure, I am glad you found something here to help you.

sheranfour
on 1/27/13 7:19 pm

Hi Elina!

I love how you don't play games...you go right to the meat of the matter!

I used to say " It's not falling off that's the problem...you  have to be cognoscente how long you fall off FOR...and more importantly...WHY"

Lying to ourselves...man we are our own worst enemies here.

Thanks for the reminder that even though things can FEEL out of control...if we really stop and pay attention to what we do and eval why we do it...we can regain control and more importantly...discover how we have the power to make choices that prevent us from  going down the same roads that lead us here to begin with. 

You are the BOMB!!

Peace

~Deb

Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.