folks who workout a lot..heavy weightlifting, crossfit, triathlons etc...

Marioksig
on 1/24/13 3:26 am - Santa Clara, CA

I assure you I am a beginner!!!  Wildflower will be my first - But I have ran a Half and and running two more in the next 3 weeks!

I chugged the Kool Aid!!! I think its a better addiction than McYD's ;)

100 LBS gone in 3 Months! - 150 LBS gone in just over 5 Months! 

200 LBS gone in just under 9 Months!

Please Check out my blog:
www.sheddingounces.net  

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/13 3:38 am

I am going to assume that you will disregard my advice or sentiment on this topic because it really is very contrary to what you seem to believe. But here goes.....

I followed the advice of my surgeon on this one. I started exercising with seriousness about 10-12 weeks out from surgery. At first I could not do very much. I was still pretty damn heavy and very out of shape. I stuck with it and got stronger. I worked (and still do) with a trainer once per week. Eventually, the trainer wanted me take in a higher level of calories and a much higher number of carbs per day. I was very hesitant to do so. So I checked with my doc's team.

I was told that unless I was embarking on a serious athlete level type of training - meaning 3 to 4 hours per of vigorous, calorie burning exercise, I did not need to worry about adjusting my diet terribly. It was explained to me that I had plenty of reserve stores of energy that would keep my energy level up in the form of stored fat. If I chose to eat a high carb snack or meal prior to working out what would happen is that my body would utilize the carbs I had recently eaten for quick and easily accessible energy during my workout and thus essentially eliminate the fat burn.

It was explained further that obesity really messes with how the body utilizes calories and most obese people burn far fewer calories than our average weight peers during daily living and exercise. (Another reason we do better on fewer calories than most normal weighted people do.) Upping calories for my "moderate" exercise regime ) was not in line with my weight loss goals or my doctor's post op care plan. (And boy, calling it moderate did not sit well with me since I was sweating like a pig and exhausted by the end of my workouts which were about 1 1/2 hours.)

I was advised though to move my protein snacks around to accommodate my activity. I was told to have a protein snack (at least 15 to 20 grams) a half an hour prior to my workout and add a protein snack within an hour after my workout. I did notice a difference in my workouts when I did this.

So I stuck to my 800 calorie max plan while exercising 5 days per wee****il I hit maintenance.

I was also not looking to bulk or add muscle during my weight loss phase, but rather I was concerned with maintaining as much muscle as possible. When in a calorie deficit it is virtually impossible to build muscle. It is completely possible to strengthen and maintain muscle that already exists. Now that I'm in maintenance, I do focus on building a little more and defining. So I'm still trying to burn fat, but adding a little muscle mass, too. My weight is fairly stable as I progress so I'm happy about that.

So in a nutshell, yes, if you are running triathlons, you probably need extra calories. But, if you are like most here on OH and have a moderate exercise plan (1 to 2 hours) 4 to 6 days per week, you probably don't need to up your calories or your carbs. You have the extra calories already stored in your body waiting to be used.

I know my view point may not be well thought of by many, but it is supported by my surgeon and his team of RDs (who work only with bariatric patients) and his MD. It is what worked and continues to work for me.

michael B.
on 1/24/13 8:06 am - MA
VSG on 03/19/12

Well you can't argue with results Kairk and yours are very motivating and inspirational! Thanks for sharing brother!

Burnsy  (ticker starts 2wks pre op)