folks who workout a lot..heavy weightlifting, crossfit, triathlons etc...

vogue
on 1/24/13 1:00 am
VSG on 08/30/12

so its basic knowledge that 600-800 calories a day is NOT enough to sustain basic functions when you are exerting that much energy...

I started StrongLifts a couple of weeks ago... Im NOT increasing weights after every workout as instructed though, only increasing once a week....so for now Im OK and should be OK for a few weeks... HOWEVER, by the end of February I dont know what Im going to do...

Im obviously going to need more than 800 calories a day to be able to fuel my everyday life plus workouts HOWEVER at this point I still have 70 pounds to lose... my ultimate goal is do to 2 triathlons in late Spring...

I dont get into all of that TDEE, BMR stuff....  but I am concerned that my weightloss ( my paramount concern) will me hampered by my secondary yet equally important concern of building muscle mass & strength

Advice??  

Keith L.
on 1/24/13 1:59 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I am probably not the person you are looking for for a good answer to this question but I wanted to back up what you are saying a little bit. I have been working out 5 to 6 days a week for about 2 months or so no. I was doing arms and chest every other day and I have now gone to a two day rest between. I was able to get my workout weight up in the first couple of weeks but since then my workout weight has declined. I cannot finish my sets at the weight I started at. My muscle recovery time is either longer than I am giving it but my muscles just do not want to push the weight. I am experimenting now with a little carb/protein boost before I go to the gym to see if maybe just haven't had the readily available energy at the time of work out. I had moderate success last night but still could not complete my workout at the weight I started at. We are not talking about that much weight either. Physically I can feel my muscles changing but I am not seeing the results on the bench. I am wondering if it can be done within the 600-800 if you eat at strategic times like before and after. In watching the workout and body building videos you are right those guys are getting a lot of calories. I am curious as to the answers you get here, but my guess is you will have to go to a body building site or the fitness and exercise section on MFP to get some real feedback. But I think you are going to have a tough time finding someone who had WLS and is any kind of body builder now.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

vogue
on 1/24/13 2:20 am
VSG on 08/30/12
On January 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM Pacific Time, Keith L. wrote:

I am probably not the person you are looking for for a good answer to this question but I wanted to back up what you are saying a little bit. I have been working out 5 to 6 days a week for about 2 months or so no. I was doing arms and chest every other day and I have now gone to a two day rest between. I was able to get my workout weight up in the first couple of weeks but since then my workout weight has declined. I cannot finish my sets at the weight I started at. My muscle recovery time is either longer than I am giving it but my muscles just do not want to push the weight. I am experimenting now with a little carb/protein boost before I go to the gym to see if maybe just haven't had the readily available energy at the time of work out. I had moderate success last night but still could not complete my workout at the weight I started at. We are not talking about that much weight either. Physically I can feel my muscles changing but I am not seeing the results on the bench. I am wondering if it can be done within the 600-800 if you eat at strategic times like before and after. In watching the workout and body building videos you are right those guys are getting a lot of calories. I am curious as to the answers you get here, but my guess is you will have to go to a body building site or the fitness and exercise section on MFP to get some real feedback. But I think you are going to have a tough time finding someone who had WLS and is any kind of body builder now.

this is the answer I got elsewhere and I gotta say I get it & agree with the sentiment:

Don't worry about the weight loss. If you are committed to your exercise routine, the weight loss will be secondary and will happen. I pretty much choose the alternate route you seem to be embarking on. I became a runner and did heavy cross-training on non-running days. Got pretty good, too, as I was actually able to win my division in several 5K/8K/10K races.

Check out my blog, http://vsgrunner.wordpress.com/.

I haven't updated it in quite awhile as I have been dealing with a ruptured disc in my back and just had my second surgery 2 weeks ago, but I think the information is relevant.

Bottom line, feed your body. Carbs are your source of energy, so don't do a low carb routine. It just doesn't work for serious exercisers. If you don't believe me, look at my signature. All my weight loss recordings are there. When I was thick in my training, I was eating no less than 1,800 calories a day, 180 grams of protein and no less than 130 grams of carbs. And I lost weight like crazy.

Low carb equates to low energy. Try exercising like that ...

http://vsgrunner.wordpress.com/

vogue
on 1/24/13 2:31 am
VSG on 08/30/12

you may need to deload for a day or 2 then bring yourself back up....  

how soon before workout are you giving yourself the boost??  Is your metabolism working that fast?   600-800 is definitely not enough for heavy lifting...  and I NEED the strength but Im scared/apprehensive...  for February Im going to try 800-1000 calories and see how it goes...  Im not measuring weight or inches again until March 1...  I just hope 800-1000 cals is enough to keep my energy up

my husband and sister think that the reason I got sick ( terrible common cold) is because my resistance was down after a few weeks of heavy workouts without increasing my calories....    they may be right because unlike other times, none of my kids are sick

Keith L.
on 1/24/13 3:38 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Works out to be about a half hour before my work out and it is usually something with higher carbs, a little bit of sugar and some protein. Not sure how fast my metabolism is, probably not that great. I could not eat 1800 calories in a day unless I started eating high carbs and I am not prepared to do that just yet.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

vacationlover
on 1/24/13 2:09 am

Hi!  Have you spoke to your NUT about this?  When I started working out a lot, my NUT and I put together a plan to help me get the nutrition/energy that I needed. 

Some of the stuff I did:

- Added a QUEST bar to my workout.  I would have half a bar before, and half after.  It was a could source of carbs for energy, and protein for building muscle.  My NUT suggested that another option was a handful of grapes before a workout, and some peanut butter after a workout.

- Increased my water.  And, even though we are generally not supposed to drink within 30 minutes of eating, I can (and will) do so after having a QUEST bar. 

- Upped my calorie intake by up to half of what I burned while working out.  Now that I'm in more of a maintenance mode, I let myself eat up to 100% of what I burned while working out.

Prior to adjusting to the plan above, I was almost passing out on my long runs.  After adopting the plan above, I felt MUCH better.

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

colomama2G
on 1/24/13 2:12 am
I have been doing cardio 6 days a week (1.5 hrs) and weights 3 days a week. I have found that what Keith was talking about, a carb/protein boost pre work out, and one immediately after, helps immensely!! I am far more productive in my workout, and find I need less recovery time with this method. I have been lifting heavier lately, and this works well for me. I have experiemented with not doing the extra "boost" pre workout lately, and I can tell you I definitely feel a difference!! Immediately post workout I do a protein shake that has a few more carbs than the normal ones that I drink (I use Core Power light). So with this "boost" I get closer to 800-900 cals (sometimes 1000 cal) on days I do weights and heavy cardio. I have been doing this for 4 months and am still consistantly losing (although I am a "stairstep" loser). I am down 100 lbs in 6 months so it works for me. I also strive to get 100mg of protein a day, luckily I love shakes!!
Sorry...that was a rather "rambling" post...but hope it helps! Good luck!!!!
vogue
on 1/24/13 2:25 am
VSG on 08/30/12
On January 24, 2013 at 10:12 AM Pacific Time, colomama2G wrote:
I have been doing cardio 6 days a week (1.5 hrs) and weights 3 days a week. I have found that what Keith was talking about, a carb/protein boost pre work out, and one immediately after, helps immensely!! I am far more productive in my workout, and find I need less recovery time with this method. I have been lifting heavier lately, and this works well for me. I have experiemented with not doing the extra "boost" pre workout lately, and I can tell you I definitely feel a difference!! Immediately post workout I do a protein shake that has a few more carbs than the normal ones that I drink (I use Core Power light). So with this "boost" I get closer to 800-900 cals (sometimes 1000 cal) on days I do weights and heavy cardio. I have been doing this for 4 months and am still consistantly losing (although I am a "stairstep" loser). I am down 100 lbs in 6 months so it works for me. I also strive to get 100mg of protein a day, luckily I love shakes!!
Sorry...that was a rather "rambling" post...but hope it helps! Good luck!!!!

nope, I dont mind the shakes...  I have 1 everyday for breakfast and then Isopure RTD (carb free) during the day...   though my wallet may not like it, Im thinking as my weightlifting amounts increase, I may add a 2nd Isopure RTD ( the carb plus version) drinking half before workout and half after....

Since I have been since since last week, I didnt workout earlier in the week...  yesterday I was able to complete my workout and wasnt totally wiped out as I expected....

Marioksig
on 1/24/13 3:00 am - Santa Clara, CA

First things first - I am no doctor but this is what has worked for me... I know that this is hard to take - but eating more is actually going to help you. I work out like crazy - I do a circuit training class 8 times a week (www.fns360.com) Cardio/Weight lifting. I swim at least once a week (1 hour), ride my bike at least once a week (15-30miles) and run at least once a week (5-8 miles). 

I am training for wildflower tri - Olympic Distance http://www.tricalifornia.com/index.cfm/WildFlower2013-main.h tm

and them the Big Kahuna Tri - Half Iron Man: http://www.firstwave-events.com/races/Big-Kahuna-Triathlon-2 013-Santa-Cruz.aspx

@ 3 months I was training hard - not this hard but I upped my calories to 1200-1300

@ 6 months I upped my calories to 1500-1600

I am getting close to 8 months out and at now eating 1600-1700 calories a day.

HOWEVER :

I eat alot of very low carb protiens and high veggie intake. My carbs that I intake come primary through raw nuts & avocados and I have to admit - I still use croutons on my salad.... 60-80 calories worth.  I also juice at least once a day to make sure that i am getting enough veggie intake...

I have 36 pounds left to loose to hit my goal of 225 pounds - right now I am still loosing 2.5-3 pounds a week. This is what has worked for me... I wish you the best of luck!!!!

What Tri are you doing - Iron Man - ? I am planning on doing Iron Man AZ in 2014 and Half Iron Man Vine Man Napa 2013

100 LBS gone in 3 Months! - 150 LBS gone in just over 5 Months! 

200 LBS gone in just under 9 Months!

Please Check out my blog:
www.sheddingounces.net  

vogue
on 1/24/13 3:14 am, edited 1/24/13 3:15 am
VSG on 08/30/12

Im a BEGINNER MAN!!!!!!!    Ironman is so out of my scope for now...  though Im told I will be "drinking the Kool-Aid" soon enough...

Im just doing beginner stuff...  Swim 546.81 yards Bike 12 miles Run 3.1 miles

http://trirock.competitor.com/annapolis/

YOU, Sir, ARE MY HERO & IDOL!!!

so for February Im going to play around with upping calories/carbs...  this is going to be a REAL challenge for me...

thanks so much for the advice