label reading and lesson learned

Linda B.
on 1/20/13 12:49 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

Well, I learned the hard way that just because one protein powder by a manufacturer meets our carb and protein requirements, does not mean all of their brands do. Case in point, we use Cytosport powder from Costco, so, we see these great flavor options from Muscle Milk (same manufacturer), so I order red velvet cake and german chocolate cake flavors online. I get the package and then discover that it is much higher in carbs than we usually use, and lower in protein too. So, since I have already spent my rewards bucks on it, I will use it as an occasional treat until it is gone. I could also use it to make protein ice cream. I will never again buy a protein product without reading the label, no matter who makes it.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/13 2:47 pm

Amen! I find the exact same thing using GNC products! Really have to pay attention to those labels!

pineview01
on 1/20/13 2:53 pm - Davison, MI

This is so true.  I found this with the different EAS products also.  Had been using the powder that was good to go and grabed some RTG one day and no way.  Still sitting on the shelf and will give them to DH that is older and works harder than most youngouns.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

HilaryH8103
on 1/20/13 7:02 pm - WA

How long after surgery do you have to continue the protein shakes? I thought it was just for a few weeks? The MA at my doctors office told me that I could eat as I always did just not eat as much. Is this true or completely false? I've never been an over eater or a junk food addict but I don't want to have to drink protein shakes for the rest of my life either.. I have so many questions. I need to go meet with the nutritionist again..

Amy 2bhealthy
on 1/20/13 7:10 pm - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
My Dr office wants me to stop the shakes eventually. After surgery, you start with mostly shakes, then as you can eat more, you can have less shakes. It is all about getting your protein numbers in, so if you have to supplement with shakes, you do. I personally like having a shake a day. I mix it with my coffee first thing in the morning. Gets me 27 grams of protein in and it doesn't taste horrible b/c it is basically a creamer and sweetener for my coffee. I know there are lots of people who don't have shakes long term, just depends what works for you.

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

hollykim
on 1/21/13 2:09 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

Again :), how long you have to drink shakes depends on two things,and everyone is different.

No 1 you have to drink them as long as your surgeon says.

No 2 you have to drink them until you are able to eat 60-80 gms minimum of protein a day.  some people can't or won't eat that much,mostly meat,in a day, so they still supplement with shakes to get the protein,which you MUST have.

HilaryH8103
on 1/22/13 12:51 pm - WA

I guess I will be drinking them for the rest of my life. At least to make up for my protein. I'll have to find one I can love for a lifetime. :)

Linda B.
on 1/21/13 2:47 am - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

I also use my shake mixed with coffee in the morning while I'm getting ready for work. I never could eat when I fist get up, and that did not change after surgery, so this gets me going. I then have a protein based snack at my desk later in the morning. I will also occasionally have a shake blended with ice later in the day if I want something like a dessert. This typically will happen when I am close to time for the monthly visitor.  

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Ms Shell
on 1/21/13 7:46 am - Hawthorne, CA
a) I have a protein shake in the morning because itst easy. Breakfast was always a meal I skipped preop and ANYTIME I use the word preop to describe a food behavior I take stock because umm preop is preop which means I ended up needing surgery.
b) I stopped in year 2 just because I was eating and meeting goals. My 3 year labs showed low protein levels not withstand I was eating close to 80g of protein a day via food. I added back in my morning shake and my levels went back to normal.

I let my annual labs and weight dictate my behaviors not just protocal because we are all created and function differently.

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

HilaryH8103
on 1/22/13 12:59 pm - WA

Great Idea, I'm going to have to start drinking a protein shake first thing in the morning.

I usually skip breakfast, lunch and all snacks in between because I get my 24 oz. quad shot mocha every morning and that fills me up all day. Some days that's all I have. I've had to teach myself to eat every 2-3 hours and just from doing that I've lost 16 pounds in the last 5 weeks. I couldn't believe that eating has caused me to lose weight. I haven't even started the pre-op diet yet. Hopefully, I can lose a good 15-20 pounds more. I have non-alcoholic hepatitis, my rheumatologist told me that my liver is huge and I know the surgeon wants that to shrink down before he even touches me. 

Most Active
Recent Topics