ADD/ADHD & Absorption

Chelsea M.
on 11/23/12 10:31 pm

Hey everyone!

I have a question about your experiences with the absorption of everything as a sleeved patient. I am curious mostly about medication but any information will help!

In particular, I am trying to figure out if I am absorbing my ADD medicine, Vyvanse properly. I was previously on Adderall XR and it worked but I was having a problem with wanting to take more throughout the day than I needed. I was wondering if the medicines aren't lasting as long as they normally would in someone with a normal stomach. The problem is, I have never taken either of these prior to surgery. I had taken Concerta on occasion and I didn't even like it then so I'm not sure that would help to compare.

When I would take Adderall XR (first prescribed 20mg, then up to 25mg) I would feel it like clockwork after half an hour. Then in 4 hours, I'd feel like it wasn't effective anymore and take another. Eventually, I lost that feeling of a rush all together.

With Vyvanse, I know you are not supposed to feel that rush but I do notice it kicks in after an hour. Then after like 2-3, I feel like I'm drowsy?? I'm on 60mg of Vyvanse once a day.

These two medications are supposed to be absorbed differently. Vyvanse isn't affected by the acidity of your stomach the way adderall is, which I would guess is a good thing for VSG patients?

Does anyone have any experience with either of these medications or anything that their surgeons have told them about absorption of medication/anything in general?

Please let me know so I can go to my neurologist with more information because he is not very familiar with the surgery and I am not sure he has even thought to take the absorption rate of my body into consideration.

I would ask my surgeon's team but they are not very familiar with ADD/ADHD medications in VSG patients either so I am sort of at a loss and on my own with this! Any information about ADD/ADHD medications will help a lot!

Thank you and well wishes to you all on your weight loss journeys! :)

If life seems absurd, what you need is some laughter!
                                                                       --Bright Eyes
Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/23/12 10:42 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
No idea but I would seek advice from a pharmacist. They really are the ones trained in meds and you can explain your sleeve and I am sure that a pharmacist will be able to figure it out for you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

pyrdoglover
on 11/24/12 11:56 am - OH
VSG on 07/10/12

HI. I had concerns about ADD meds as well. I am on Concerta 72 mg per day. After surgery, I was a little hesitant to take it and waited a few days until everything was going ok. I started with 1 pill-36mg- a day until I felt comfotable with the effects and knew it was ok, maybe a week. I then up-ed it to my reg 72 mg and it is going great. The sleeve doesn't seem to effect the absorption at all. I am wondering if lossing weight will effect how much is an effective level. so far I'm down almost 100 and still working good.

I'm glad you asked. Definitely research is needed. I asked the same question with no response. However, there doesn't seem to be any concern about other drugs so it maybe a mute point and nothing to worry about.   

Patty

LNC62
on 11/24/12 12:56 pm - CA
VSG on 12/17/12

I don't know about the absorption and I haven't had my surgery yet.  Also, I took myself off ADD meds a few months ago.  But you mentioned you get drowsy after taking 60mg of Vyvanse.  My psych doctor told me that if you have ADD, a sign of too much medication is drowsiness. Good luck

Lynn

Colleen R.
on 1/12/14 1:58 am - Custer, WI
Has anyone tried the liquid medication Quillivant? Since it is a liquid I am wondering if the absorption would be better

Colleen R.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/12/14 1:40 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I don't know much about ADD/ADHD meds, but I have bipolar so I know about other psych meds, maybe that will help some!

Vyvanse (like Adderal XR) is intended to be an extended-release medication. From my understanding, those generally aren't absorbed well after WLS; my own psychiatrist had to check that none of my meds were that type before signing off on my surgery.

From my own pre-surgery research, I've seen that many patients are able to switch from non-XR to regular-release versions of their medications and do just fine, you'll just need to take the pill twice a day instead of once, but then there shouldn't be any absorbtion issues.

I'd suggest asking your surgeon or pharmacist about the extended-release issue, they'll know more, and maybe you can take that to your neurologist :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

happyteacher
on 1/12/14 10:22 pm

I am in the same boat.  I take Adderall XR and what you describe here "When I would take Adderall XR (first prescribed 20mg, then up to 25mg) I would feel it like clockwork after half an hour. Then in 4 hours, I'd feel like it wasn't effective anymore and take another. Eventually, I lost that feeling of a rush all together" is nearly identical for me.  I take regular adderal, and find that the initial kick in is stronger than the xr version, and it also seems to last as long... and it shouldn't be that way.  I take 20 mg of either medication.

I get the "wanting to take more" part... on the nights I have my college class I have really toyed with taking another, because by then it is entirely worn off.  I do worry about building up a dependency, so I try to detox whenever I can.  I stopped it for a month just recently as I was on medical leave for work and between classes in college.  Last week was my first dose in a while, and it really hit me after taking it... more so than right before I stopped for the month.  

When I go in for my yearly physical I will be talking to my doc about this, so if you don't mind pass along what you find out.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Wright61
on 6/9/18 12:13 am

I have taken both , I have ADD and resist treatment major Depression . Adderall did me well for 17 yrs. Then last Jan of 17 I was put on Vyvanse , MY LIFE CHANGED, I have developed anti social behavior,vmy Depression be is off the scale and I have got anger issues , almost like taking NOTHING.

BASICALLY , THE VYVANSE HAS TWO INGREDIENTS THAT YOUR METABOLISM HAS TO MAKE AND SHAKE IT AND TADA ! YOUR BODY MADE YOUR ADDERALL. IF YOUR ABSORPTION AND MATOBOLIC ARE DECREASED , SO IS THE EFFECT OF MEDS, I HATE VYVANSE, IT MAKES ME MEAN TO.

Most Active
Recent Topics