Things that are better than food....

Linda B.
on 11/21/12 3:34 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

Bouncing off of # 20, being able to skate for 90 minutes with only water sip breaks.

My skates fit like they did when I first got them, and they don't squeeze my feet.

Searching for a dance studio for ballroom lessons with DH, looks like one starts in January, I'll have the energy for it.

Having a student tell me my butt looks smaller.

I'm sure there are more, but I'm under the influence of cold medicine and can't think much.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

lucy2e
on 11/21/12 8:55 pm - Laurel, MD

Mine goes with your #15 (being treated better by society).

Being able to hide when you want to - when you are super-morbidly obese, you stand out and when you want to be alone you will catch people staring, pointing, whispering comments.  I actually had some teen girls follow me around an amusement park trying to get a picture of me.  When things like that happen - it kills a little piece of you...each time a little bit of your spirit dies.  

Now - I can stand out and be the center of attention (in an oh so positive way) when I want to, and I can hide and have my private me time when I want!  

I am oh so thankful that I was an incredibly strong fat person who could handle the thoughtless abuse doled out by ignorant people who treat others who are different like they aren't human.  I am even more thankful that I no longer need to have that strength and that I can live a happier healthier life!

Thanks for this thread - I just shed a couple tears at the memory - but they were healing tears and I feel even stronger now then when I started!  (((hugs))) to all of you!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

71dart
on 11/21/12 9:29 pm
VSG on 08/06/12 with
SEX

Sasny
on 11/21/12 10:00 pm
VSG on 03/20/12
Hi

Great post! It's helpful to go over the accomplishments during the journey to goal. Here are some if mine:

1) wrapping a normal bathroom towel all the way around myself with towel to spare

2) going to the hair salon and having the robe fit

3) going to the doctor and having the robe fit. I hated it during all the doctor appointments prior to surgery. Sitting in the table and the robe being way too small.

4) seeing a space between my thighs

5) feeling my hip bones when laying down in bed

6) being able to sit Indian style on the floor with my kids

7) looking down at my forearms and hands and thinking they don't look like they are mine

8) no longer being the fat mom for my kids. It was important for me to do this while they are still little. That are 3 and 4 and I know kids are cruel. I never wanted them to be ashamed of me and luckily now it is a thing of the past and they never knew.

9) Being Healthy - as we move farther along in the weightloss there is a tendency to focus in the vanity things but I think the main reason so many if us have the surgery is to resolve health issues. I am so grateful to no longer have high blood pressure and be pre diabetic.

10) knowing that I am not taking years off my life by being so heavy

11) watching my new size 12 jeans get too saggy in my butt and too big in the waist

12) going from a 3x top to an XL and a 42G bra to a 36DD

13) being excited to go bathing suit shopping in 6 weeks for a January vacation (although I have no clothes to wear on the trip because nothing from the summer fits!)

14) knowing that I will not be making the same New Years resolution this year that had failed the last 20 or so years

15) having purses fit over my arm / shoulders and not look ridiculously small

16) being so happy with the changes to my body that it makes most things better

Have a great thanksgiving everybody!

Stephanie

reneemosley
on 11/22/12 12:17 am - WA
VSG on 05/21/12

A few for me are....

-Having space between me and hubs on the Harley

-Not being afraid of participating in anything physical

-being under the weight limit for the trampoline

-surpassing the stamina of the 20 somethings in step class

-having my 11 year old look at old pictures and say "...mom that does not even look like you"

Happy Thanksgiving!

Band 5/2006          Revision to VSG 5/2012

TSinNC
on 11/22/12 2:06 am
VSG on 08/16/12

All of these are so fabulous, everyone!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

rainyone
on 11/22/12 3:10 am - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12

Riding a bike

Not taking painkillers regularly. I think I can count on both hands the number of tylenol I've needed to take in the last 8 months and that is with 2 biopsies done on a lump in my neck, periods, and my vsg surgery. I used to pop them for aches and pains ALL the time!

Playing sports. I spared for a dodgeball team and loved it. I would have died 8 months ago- no- actually I wouldn't have done it at all actually. Sad

Having energy.

Shopping in regular stores.

Wearing cute funny t-shirts

Compliments from other people without feeling like they are just being nice

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

dcsabrina
on 11/22/12 4:00 am - MD
Great thread. I'm going to put my list in my phone's notes section so any time I'm tempted to stray I can review it.

Happy thanks giving to all.

Lap band July 2008, revised to VSG November 2012.

diane S.
on 11/24/12 2:47 am

here are some more things:

Seeing a really good movie (went to see Lincoln yesterday - loved it)

hot pink jeans

accidently losing a pound or two.

having people fuss over how good you look.

taking dogs to the beach and not having to go home and lie down for hours

looking to the future with a feeling of delight and hopefulness rather than fear of more health decline

being able to help others with this journey

being able to buy clothes at every single store at a mall (except Lane Giant)

not feeling like I have to ration my energy among projects and being limited as such.

d

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/