Strategies for eating out

Kelly-AnneH
on 10/29/12 8:40 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
As we've all discovered, eating at home is just SO much easier than eating out, but eating out is part of life, so we need some strategies. Here are the ones I find helpful.

Strategy 1 - Know your limit. Serve your regular meal at home, but eat a bit differently for a few meals. Eat 1/2, stop and feel what you feel. (in your throat, behind your breastbone) now take another bite or 2 and do another reading. Do that until you're done. You're learning to recognise the tiny signs that you're close to done. Once you know them it'll be much easier to know when to stop eating when you're out.

Strategy 2 - Take what you can eat. Sometimes a meal with family or friends won't have anything you can eat. Take something to share and make it something yummy. Don't comment on your plate and most people won't say anything either. I've managed several potlucks using this one.

Strategy 3 - Learn to measure when you can't measure. For me an appropriate amount of fish or chicken is about the size of 1/2 a deck of cards. If we're eating out I cut that much from the served amount and ask for a take-away container THEN so I won't be tempted. (I've even been known to bring my own that has a chill pack in the lid) I can manage about the same volume of cooked veg or double that in salad along with my chicken or fish - everything else goes into the container. Quick and dirty - ask for the container to come with your meal and immediately put 3/4 of it into the container. (Then see strategy 1) Bonus - you won't have to deal with your server asking if the food is ok.

Strategy 4 - Soup (my current favourite when eating out) I can enjoy a small bowl of a thinnish soup plus a few nibbles from my husband's plate. We ate at a Greek restaurant the other day and each had a small bowl of incredible puréed lentil soup and shared a vegetarian combo plate, which means I ate 1 small falafel, 1/2 of a stuffed grape leaf and a couple of teaspoons of hummus. Barry ate the rest and we finished at the same time.

Strategy 5 - Order off-menu. My dietitian gave me some fabulous advice that has helped me so much. Look at the WHOLE menu - if it's on the menu ANYWHERE there's a way for you to have.it.
I'm not terribly shy, so tend to say something like "I've had gastric surgery (or am on a really strict eating plan) so my portions need to be small, but this (side dish, partial entree, whatever) looks amazing. Is there a way you could serve me just that?"
Pretty much any meat can be grilled rather than fried or deep fried and sauces on the side are an easy request to fulfil. Rice, pasta and spuds can be swapped for veg or salad. Expect to pay a little more for the extra service and tip generously.

I use strategy 5 a lot, and have since before my surgery. It hasn't been a problem at all. I make a point of being pleasant and appreciative and I tip well.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Laci M.
on 10/29/12 8:45 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Super great advice.  Thank you!!

Keith L.
on 10/29/12 8:54 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

All very good. I like #5 a lot. 

I just got back from a cruise and at dinner each night so as not to be so conspicuous I ordered something that was high in protein for my appetizer and just at a couple small bites. That was I was able to participate the same as everyone else. And then for the entree I ordered fish every night and ate a couple of bites of that. Then on the dessert menu they had a cheese plate and I got that and had a few bites of that. All in all I was able to stick to the plan. I probably did over eat just a little, but with VSG you get a pretty stern warning when that happens, so I think I am still on track. No one asked once why I didn't finish my food or if I wasn't happy, etc.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/12 9:09 am

I'm such a wimp, I think that I have really overeaten twice.  Going out has been pretty easy, since I always take it easy at meals.  If you are going to more upscale places, go to places with tasting menus or small plates.  It it so easy to moderate your eating and drinking when you get lots of little different tastes. I know that is not the option for many, but a bite or two of many things is amazingly satisfying. When you have to go to a place with full sized meals, try to see if your dinner partners will share three or four entrees between you.  Many places will split the plates between you at no cost. No money saved, but you can taste a few different things and feel satiated, without overdoing it with the food.  Plus you'll still have leftovers. Just my two cents.

My fast food meal, when I have to have one is one half of a McDonalds Mcdouble.  I litlerally can't eat any more.

SuzyNZ
on 10/29/12 4:09 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
I have my first post-surgery restaurant event. It's our annual , boozy, advertising agency Christmas lunch, typically at a very expensive restaurant. Last year the bill for 8 of us was about $1800 and included several bottles of Bollinger champagne.

Needless to say, I won't be partaking in my share of the champagne this year and was a little worried about being the odd and difficult person in terms of food.

We had the menu sent through to us today, so I checked it out and found that one of the dishes included a poached egg (among many other things) and one of the side salads was cos lettuce.

So I asked the girl organising it if she could possibly call ahead for me and ask if they would be ok just making me a poached egg with a couple of lettuce leaves, kinda like a ceaser salad. I will take a little container of sauce discreetly in my handbag. They were very accommodating and have even noted it on the booking for us.

I feel much better now as A) I planned ahead, B) I wont be wasting food and money by ordering a $50 meal and only eating the egg and C) I don't need to worry about appearing to be difficult at the time everyone orders and draw more attention to my bird like eating habits!!...lol

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Most Active