"Why couldn't you do this before VSG?"

jcush
on 10/26/12 6:30 am - CA

Your friend should get the surgery with Dr Cirangle. It has helped me in ways that I didn't even think was possible. The day to day struggle with food and trying to exercise while MO seems impossible to do. The VSG changed my way of eating and just what I put into my body. I too have Dr Cirangle and he is great. He doesn't sugar coat it and he really wants you to succeed and change the bad habits. I feel Dr Cirangle/VSG surgery has changed my life for the better, I am just so grateful.

J Cush
mimij
on 10/26/12 6:49 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

Great post Elina. Very well said. Words of wisdom, as usual. Thanks for sharing.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

Amy 2bhealthy
on 10/26/12 6:55 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
Wonderful post, thank you!!

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

TSinNC
on 10/26/12 8:46 am
VSG on 08/16/12

Yes, this is exactly what is different about pre and post VSG attempts to get healthy.

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

ParisGirl
on 10/26/12 9:52 am
VSG on 04/25/13

You are a very wise woman and am so glad to have you as a part of my pre-op learning process. 

71dart
on 10/26/12 11:08 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with
It has been so liberating to be rid of "Demon Hunger."

I have lost 75-150 lbs 5 times before but my short term victory always succumbed to ravenous insatiable hunger.

My sleeve makes long term success a realistic possibility.

Thank you for your perspective.

Tom

Cwuddy
on 10/26/12 11:10 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 08/28/12

As always, very well said, Elina!  Thank you for your post!

Vicky - SW = 299   CW = 138

beckyinkc
on 10/26/12 1:38 pm
VSG on 07/25/12

Thank you so much, as always, for sharing.  That's exactly how it was for me before surgery.  I had this horrible hunger that never went away.  I never felt full.  I ate sooooooo many carbs.  I loved cooking, and I would cook "good" stuff, but just would eat way too much of it.

VSG has been amazing for me.  Unfortunately, I didn't get the 5-6 month reprieve from hunger that some got (super jealous of that), but it's now manageable hunger.  It's a billion percent easier.  I eat, and I'm full for quite a while.  I'm still shocked at how much easier it's been.

Anyway, glad to know there are people out there who had the same problems at me and who've seen long-term success.  Thank you again. :D  You're my hero!

Sleeveless
on 10/26/12 2:09 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Elina, it's really awesome to get the benefit of your experience and insights as a veteran, and it's so kind of you to make the effort to share your knowledge.

I am waiting for a surgery date with Dr. Cirangle, but am pending insurance approval. It feels like it's taking forever, and I can't wait to join the rest of you on the loser's bench!

diane S.
on 10/27/12 4:59 am

You really helped your friend by spelling out the truth. For so many years doctors would tell me to lose weight and I knew I should and did many times but I could never keep it off and finally gave up dieting.  So many of us have this surgery in mid or later life because we have learned these lessons the hard way. I am not sure I would have been ready for it at age 30 but over time became convinced that what my doctors were telling me to do would never work. So I feel lucky to have gotten the right medical advice at age 58. Lots of people start out thinking they will just follow the wls diet but skip the surgery. Could I have done 600 calories a day for 10 months without surgery and then stuck to 1200 a day thereafter? No way.

I think of getting rid of my stomach as getting rid of excess capacity to hold food that I didn't need. Like cleaning out the house and getting rid of stuff I don't need and is only in the way and causing trouble. Yeah it seems a little drastic but when you think about how our stomachs can hold so much more than we need, its really just downsizing your stomach to a size appropriate to you.

your friend is lucky to have you. diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/