Incisions :(

Sunset77
on 10/19/12 6:30 am - CT
I had my surgery on Tuesday. I was scheduled to have a single incision and right before I went to surgery, my doctor said he would not be able to perform a single incision b/c of my hight, BMI, and that I would not accept blood transfusions. My surgery nevertheless was a success, but really down about my scars and just dealing with emotions. The only reason, I went to this doctor is b/c they did incision, to tell me right before I roll into surgery is just plan wrong.

Hoping to feel less emotional in the near future. Please pass on some words of encouragement.
OneHotMomma-Caryn
on 10/19/12 6:36 am
With my surgery I have 5 small incisions.  They have all healed well and to me just looks like a little scratch marks on the stomach.  None of my incisions are over 1 inch long.  Maybe I'm guessing wrong but 3 of them are very small, 1 is maybe 3/4 of an inch and the last is maybe
an inch long but that is the incision my stomach was pulled through. 

Don't be emotional, they'll heal just fine and won't be noticeable.

Congratulations on your surgery.
Caryn

SW: 257 LBS    CW: 205 LBS   GW: 140 LBS    

Sunset77
on 10/19/12 7:17 am - CT
Thank you for the well wishes. I guess surgery is unpredictable. I have 5 incisions. They look bad now, but hopefully they will heal nicely. On the positive side, I am doing well on the pureed diet.
dianne220
on 10/19/12 6:40 am - TX
VSG on 10/02/12
 Wow, I didn't know they could only do one incision!  I have 6 from VSG and 3from prior gall bladder.  The gallbladder ones are barely noticeable now.  How many do you have?  I hope you will feel better about them soon!  Welcome to the losers bench!

5' 8.75" HW 278 / Doctor supervised Diet 271 / SW 247 / Doctor's goal 175 / Personal Goal 167/ Current weight 155/  M1: 24.8  M2: 10.8  M3: 10.8  M4: 10.4  M5: 7.6  M6: 10.6  M7:  6.6  M8:  5.6  M9:  5.0

Sunset77
on 10/19/12 7:18 am - CT
Thank you. I have 5 incisions. Only time will tell how they heal. It is someting I didn't plan for.
Julie L.
on 10/19/12 7:36 am - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 11/08/12
Unplanned things happen,  I mean something could have happened and they'd have had to open you up completely,  imagine waking up from surgery and realizing you had open surgery,  aieee!   I'm sure your incisions will heal,  you are emotional right now and I am sure that's normal!

Italian-Princess
on 10/19/12 10:16 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi Sunset 

I have 5 incisions from surgery for the sleeve and two more from an umbilical hernia repair that they did at the same time.  Then there are the vertical C-section scars and the appendix scar, and then there's the.................well, let's put it this way -- I have a highway all over my abdomen!!!  But you know, the appendix scar is almost totally faded, the C-section scars are also barely noticeable.  The older the scars, the less noticeable they are.  The hernia repair scars are similar to the sleeve scars -- they look like a cat got PO'd at my abdomen and scratched the heck out of me LOL  They are just barely pink -- well, one is still a little red, but that was the one they took the remainder of my stomach through.  None are larger than an inch now.......4 are actually barely a half inch.........closer to 1/4 inch.  I'm almost 4 months out and when I look at my tummy area, I really only see 4 scars as the rest from current and previous surgeries are that well faded.

The bottom line on the scars we have is that they are worth it.  I'd have 10 times the scars if it brought me to this point...........over 50 pounds lost and over 41 inches gone in just under 4 months.  Perspective can make a difference in how we view these things.

Congratulations on your surgery...........welcome aboard!   And welcome to your new life!  It's a great ride!!!

Ree
Sunset77
on 10/19/12 10:20 am - CT
Thank you
Keith L.
on 10/19/12 11:27 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
I think you are looking at it the wrong way. You got the surgery and its over. Those tiny scars are going to be nothing compared to the sagging skin and when you go to get that lopped off you can have the plastic surgeon revise the scars and they will be hairline at worst.

I am keeping my scars to remind me not to get fat again.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

simmie78
on 10/19/12 2:01 pm

I guess I'm not concerned about scars...I have tons of stretch marks - I guess others don't have them?  I don't imagine they are going to disappear so I figure the scars will be adding to the highway system!

Most Active
Recent Topics