Getting water-logged

nieba
on 9/17/12 7:45 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with
I am about 2 weeks out from surgery and finding that even sipping water is making me feel water-logged at times. Basically, I feel that the water has not fully gone down (this feeling remains for hours after drinking).

I tried to even not drink any water for a day to see if the feeling went away or came with any other drink. I still got the feeling a couple of times. Anyone else feel that way? Makes it hard to drink anything at times and if I am not careful, I will get very nausous.

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

INgirl
on 9/17/12 7:55 am
Are you drinking plain water?

I couldn't drink plain water for the first 6+ mo for this reason.. if you are, add something to it- lemon, lime, Crystal Light (not full strength, just a little for flavor) or dilute something like Vitamin Water Zero.. It helps a lot.
nieba
on 9/17/12 8:16 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with
I am drinking plain water and haven't tried adding any flavor to it yet.

I am also finding that I get really thirsty and would love to just glup some water or something to make me feel better.

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

INgirl
on 9/17/12 8:19 am
I think you will be pleasantly surprised that you can drink more easily when you flavor your water with something sugar free.. there are a lot of choices- good luck!
AnnieinIA
on 9/17/12 8:36 am
I agree that it is amazing how much easier it is to drink water with a little flavor. This is so odd to me. All my life I have loved water and never wanted any flavoring. I am 6 days post op and struggled for several days trying to drink the plain water. It seems too strong, or thick or something. I finally put in a little crystal light and things are much better. So strange.
(deactivated member)
on 9/17/12 10:01 am
I use MIO's which are water enhancers.  I cannot drink just plain water.  I drink everything on ice and have not had a problem getting my liquid in.  In the beginning I thought I was going to float away, but I was scared of getting dehydrated and sure didn't want to end up back at the hospital.  I can drink normal and have since the beginning.  I don't gulp, but I can talk several swallows in a row.  Only do what your surgeon says to do on how he wants you to drink.  Jane
Father Don
on 9/17/12 11:02 am - Charleston, SC
Like everyone else has said - flavors will help....

Also, try varying the temperature...that sometimes helps....

Try warm decaf tea, room temp water...sometimes they settle better...

You MUST get the water in - you don't want to be dehydrated....

And as the saying goes, if you're thristy, you're already behind (and could be getting dehydrated).

Remember - you pouch is still swollen and tender....it's like a newborn's....

Don't expect to get in ounces at a time - one ounce, wait 5 min, then anouther ounce....

It WILL get better!   HONEST!!!!

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

lucy2e
on 9/17/12 11:14 am - Laurel, MD

At first I was only doing flavored water - but got so sick of the flavors.  One thing that worked was squeezing 1 or 2 lemon wedges in a glass of water and adding a pack of splenda or truvia.  This tasted far more natural.

Now I can do plain water, but I still sometimes feel icky from it.  At those time I make sure it is ICE COLD - for some reason icy water goes down much easier and more quickly.

Good luck!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Most Active
Recent Topics