Fighting depression

BlueSkyBlue
on 9/7/12 3:41 pm
VSG on 01/03/12
 I'm 8 months out, 125 lbs lost, 22 lbs to go. Physically doing well, stronger, healthier but... So depressed lately. I hardly recognize myself. Everyone says how great I look...but why am I not happy and okay?

starry957
on 9/7/12 4:38 pm
I worry about this too....I know I'm prone to situational depression/hormonal, etc....so, my course of action is that I have met with the therapist I had post-divorce and she is on board and ready to meet with me regularly to work through all of the issues, etc...I'm quite sure I'll be having post-op.  Any change or transition can trigger depression and this surgery is no exception - think of all of the changes you've had to endure thus far.  I would encourage you to get yourself a counselor, therapist, whatever...also, I sometimes wonder, for some of us, if food BECOMES the medication we use to treat anxiety/depression....take the eating behaviours/foods away, and I think you can get left with what might have been there all along....not everyone, but for some of us, this could be true too.

Best wishes for this part of your journey!
Kerry

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

karynh
on 9/7/12 4:38 pm - Tampico, IL
VSG on 09/26/12
ask dr about welbutrin XL
synthangel
on 9/7/12 5:19 pm - NV
VSG on 11/02/12
 I think its because a lot of us can be goal driven and think if we reach a certain goal (like losing weight) we will finally be happy.

And life is not just destination.. its 100% journey. It takes work to be happier with everyday life. It's not just about being 'happy' cause thats a destination. We should just try to be happier. Take a few minutes out of everyday to do something you truly love to make life worth living.

Counselling isnt a bad idea either. But I found that for me personally I am a lot happier just trying to do things each day for myself, rather than tirelessly working towards a goal only to be just the same after I reach it.

Good luck!
racemomss
on 9/7/12 5:22 pm - TX
VSG on 08/29/12
Hugs to you! I am sitting right next to you only I am a little over a week out. I feel lost and sad and feel I will never be able to eat "normal" again. I am dropping the weight but still feel lost. I suggest a counselor I have recognized that I am addicted to food and a emotional eater which with this surgery has to be addressed.  I am seeking contacting a counselor on Monday and hope to pull myself together. I hope you feel better soon! You have done an amazing job transforming your life and emotionally you deserve to enjoy the new you. If you ever need to get things out just post here. It helps!

MaryContrary80
on 9/8/12 7:24 am
VSG on 09/04/12
I'm sorry you are feeling this way. I think it really takes a long time for your head to catch up with your body. Do you go to support meetings or a therapist? I think it would probably be helpful for you. I think sometimes we underestimate how much food did for us when we could eat with wild abandon. I mean think about how many times you at through tough moments. I could not even tell you it's so many for me. You are probably still grieving your old life, and even though you have this new awesome life, your head is not in that space yet. I think some things that could help you is to keep journal, to meditate at least one time a day and to have someone to talk to in person, even if it isn't a therapist. You need to let it out. Anyway, wish you all the best and congratulations on your success. That is a lot to be proud of! 
Most Active
Recent Topics