pre-op appoitment yesterday (a little long)

Linda B.
on 9/1/12 11:17 am - CO
VSG on 09/13/12
Well, I had my pre-op appointment and it went well. It is finally feeling real to me now. I got my blood work done and Kaiser posted the results on the online system and it appears all are within normal range. My surgeon wants me to not use any pills for a month, so I had to get the children's version of my OTC allergy stuff because it is liquid. Picked up some portable protein snacks for DH to eat when he's with me at the hospital. I think everything is ready to go now.

I asked some last minute questions and I'm feeling better about the guy. I initially had some reservations about him. With Kaiser you are assigned to a surgeon, you don't get to pick. I asked if he does anything to reinforce the staple line and he said they use that strip glue stuff, I can't remember what it's called. I had watched a youtube video someone posted where the surgeon used it. He uses a 34 bougie, I know bougie size doesn't really matter, but I feel better knowing it is withing the standard range that is recommended by the bariatric surgeon's professional group. One thing does concern me though, I asked about pain control and I will get something in my IV in recovery, but then lortab after that. No "happy pain pump" like DH got (he was sent to Pacific Bariatrics before Kaiser went "in house"). The surgeon also said that if I look like a million bucks the next day, he'll send me home. Most folks have posted they haven't had real pain issues, I'm a wimp when it comes to that.

Now, I am 12 days and counting. Getting a bit nervous, but I know that's normal. Thanks to all of you who post your experiences and advise, I feel well prepared. Of course it helps that DH has "been there, done that." Now, I need to get the house cleaned up a bit, garden chores done, and set things up for my sub to take over for me while I'm out. I will soon join the ranks of the skinny B's of SoCal.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Shagdoll
on 9/1/12 5:46 am, edited 9/1/12 5:47 am
Whoo Hoo gurl!! Excited for you!!!
I'm happy to say we are saving a seat for you on the "Skinny *****es of SoCal" bench even though you have been rockin' it pre-sleeve already!!!
GOOOOO GUUUURRLLLL!!!!'

Jenn  

WWBD?  

happyteacher
on 9/1/12 1:05 pm
 Try not to worry about not having the happy pump- I never used it once I came around enough to realize what it was.  If you are in pain they will bring you something- just communicate it to them.  The no pills thing for a  month is a little weird, but it doesn't seem that you have a great plan for that.  Can't be too safe!  I asked to go home next day and was far more comfortable there.  Loratab is amazing stuff, but none of the pain meds will touch the gas pain.  For that just get yousefl up and walking as soon as possible and use the spirometer.  You are going to do great and it is so worth it!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

TSinNC
on 9/1/12 2:35 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
Woot woot! That is exciting!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

Most Active
Recent Topics