A little TMI but need advise

nieba
on 8/9/12 2:40 pm - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with
Okay. I have had problems with bowel movements in the past. I get contipation fairly easy and I can go up to 5 days without feeling like I have to go.

Now I am on the protein shake (twice a day) with dinner (4-6 oz. protein with leafy veggie) pre-op diet and I am finding that I am "going" at least every other day, but I get so blocked up I end up in severe pain.

Has anyone else had a problem of their pre-op diets making constipation worse? I used to drink a can of Kern's Apricot juice, but I noticed lately that there are just way too many carbs.

What about after surgery? Is this something I need to be aware of after surgery too?

Thanks for "listening".

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

melly37
on 8/9/12 2:44 pm - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
I am usually very regular.  When I had my sleeve surgery, I was VERY constipated.  I hardly had a BM for 2 weeks!  I bought the generic kind of mirilax at Costco and started putting it in my protein shake.  Problem solved!!

Once I started eating regular foods, the problem resolved for me.  I don't use mirilax anymore.  It's tasteless and easy to do.  If I were you, I would give it a try!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

rhearob
on 8/9/12 2:48 pm - TN
 After surgery, being irregular is pretty common.  I never had problems before surgery.  I would have problems every couple of weeks after surgery.  Fibercon tablets and Miralax were always on hand.  If I didn't go for a couple of days, a dose or two of Miralax would get me moving again.

After surgery be sure to get your water in and walk as much as possible.  That will help.  Also, drink warm green tea to help things out as well.

Plan on having miralax on hand. 

Now that I am in maintenance and having more veggies in my diet, I find that I havent had any issues in about a month.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

acbbrown
on 8/9/12 2:50 pm - Granada Hills, CA
Most of the time miralax and and/or ducolax stool softeners should be enough to solve that problem.

Some people recommend fiber supplements but I wouldn't recommend that until  you are a little ways post-op and see how your system is doing at that point. Ive delt with chronic constipation for 14 months now, and fiber makes it worse.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

nieba
on 8/9/12 7:50 am, edited 8/9/12 7:51 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with
I am definitely going to check out the Miralax. With my GERD, Green Tea of any kind is out of the question. Thanks.

Fiber made it worse? Oh that can't happen. I will stay away fromt he fiber then after surgery.

I have to do something. I have a family history that a past relative died from a bowel obstruction.

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/12 4:37 pm
I hear you! Really! I got so constipated during the pre op diet (and I was on real food) that I ended up having to have a "colon cleanse". Fancy Ass way of saying enema! YUCK!

So having suffered through that ordeal, stool softeners and prune juice became my very good friends. Also, lots and lots of water helps. Pre surgery taking fiber was fine, but after surgery, it just blocked me up, so I swtiched to Miralax. OMG! Miralax is the poop drug from heaven. It works like gang busters!

My daily "Regualrity ****tail" is a Dulcolax and a half dose of Miralax in the a.m. and another Dulcolax at bedtime. Keeps me regular and pain free. It's worth a try.
loverofcats
on 8/9/12 5:54 pm
 In addition to all the great previous suggestions, glycerin suppositories are also helpful.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Phatchick
on 8/10/12 6:37 am - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
 I went from a daily kind of girl pre-op to a mess post-op. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you manage this issue quickly. I did not and developed an anal fissure and now am in pain 90% of the time. I do stool softeners and fiber daily now. Best, Sharon

Most Active
Recent Topics