Low Blood Sugar

Nancy B.
on 8/7/12 11:16 pm - Bridge City, TX
VSG on 08/27/11 with
Hi guys!  Something I've been meaning to get your thoughts on for a while.....

I am struggling a little bit with my last 20 pounds.  I've set my goal at 135...honestly, I don't know where I'll end up, since I've never been at a "goal" weight, so I don't know what mine will be until I get there, I guess.  I chose 135 simply because it was right in the comfy middle of normal bmi for my height.  I'm rambling a bit, lol, but I DO know I'm not finished losing.

Anyway, here's my problem....when I go all out protein first, I run the risk of having an episode of low blood sugar (50-60 range). Had Type 2 diabetes, pre-op, btw.  So, when the low blood sugar hits, guess what?  I'm grabbing ANYTHING that will help me feel better, even though I have bought glucose tabs to have on hand for this situation. 

Pre-surgery, I had low blood sugar swings, so this is nothing new, but I don't think it ever went this low. And it's more of a problem now, because of how little I can eat if I eat my protein first. Obviously my body needs a little sugar (everyone's does, I know), so how do I get it without causing rapid peaking of blood sugar levels followed by the inevitable plunge?

Is my question clear as mud?  :) Thanks for the input!
-Nancy 

HW 238    Starting Weight 227   Surgery Weight 212   CW 155
Height 5'5"            Lost 9 lbs. pre-op, and another 6 lbs. on the liquid diet.
rhearob
on 8/7/12 11:31 pm - TN
 I had some issues with low blood sugar after surgery.  Like you I was type II.  My Diabetes was poorly controlled before surgery.

My technique was to keep a regualr eating schedule.  That way I did not have big spikes up and down.  If I know I am going to be in a situation where I know I may not be able to eat around the same time, I will carry a cheese stick or (now that I am in maintenance) a quest bar to eat when i start feeling that I need it.

Honestly, I haven't had a problem with feeling the effects of low blood sugar since January ish.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Most Active
Recent Topics