What to bring...

nieba
on 8/3/12 12:51 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with
Now that I have been approved, time to start getting ready for the surgery. I have seen posts weeks ago listing out items that are very useful to bring with you to the hospital, but I cannot find it now.

What are some of the things you brought or wish you had brought with you to the hospital? All suggestions are very helpful.

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

mimij
on 8/3/12 1:10 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

Enter bring to hospital in search bar and all of the previous posts and answers will appear!

INgirl
on 8/3/12 1:16 am, edited 8/3/12 1:17 am
Bring very little.. I was in for three nights and still overpacked. My list:

Lip balm
earplugs
kindle/laptop
slippers
PJ's or robe- I wore the hospital garb (gown, front & back****il they pulled the IV and I showered.. Don't bring anything nice, there's always the chance you will get body fluids on it.. If I was there for only a night, I wouldn't bother.
Toothbrush/paste/deo
those pre-moistened or pre-soaped face wash cloths- feels nice to degrease your face
lotion for body & face if needed
maybe babywipes for cleaning elsewhere
Pads/tampons if still menstr., even if it's not your time, sometimes the shock makes things happen

Don't be shy asking for sleep-meds, sometimes getting decent sleep in the hosp is hard. Same goes for asking for an extra pillow to hold when you cough.. 

mjs620
on 8/3/12 2:53 am
Here is my list for surgery on Monday

Lip Balm
Gas x strips
wet wipes
flip flops= i hate slippers
phone and charger
extention cord for charger
cpap mask and setting
robe
toothbrush, toothpaste
deodorant
pillow
brush
hair clips
husband...:)
phine_20
on 8/3/12 3:23 am - GA
Ear plugs
pillow
hair brush
hair ties
phone and charger
tooth brush
loveliveteach
on 8/3/12 3:29 am
Aside from what others already posted,
Something to read
any meds you are currently taking
notebook and pen if you get bored easily
hairties
My actual goal is to be happy & healthy....doesn't matter what number that lands on.      
HW 253  VSG 7/31/12 SW233 One day & one step at a time! 
Kelly-AnneH
on 8/3/12 4:16 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I went to Mexicali, so needed stuff for 4 nights down there. If I was packing again and not including the 5 days we enjoyed in San Diego, I'd have taken only a carry-on containing:

2 pairs light jammies
Light robe
Toothbrush and paste
Hairbrush and travel sized shampoo
Deodorant
Slippers of some sort
1 fresh set of unders for the trip home (wore the same yoga pants and top for travelling both ways)
Extension cord (I always carry 1 when traveling)
iPad & charger
Smallish stuffy (yes, I do sleep with a stuffed toy. So?)
Decent tasting protein bar for after the fasting blood tests

I'd carry my smallest purse containing passport, wallet with some cash for tipping, iPhone, earbuds, prescription meds and a small knitting project.

If I was going into a closer hospital and expecting a shorter stay I'd leave my iPad and second pair of jammies at home.

If my surgeon typically sent people home the next day I'd take ONLY a tote with knitting, toothbrush and paste, shampoo & hairbrush, meds, slippers, fresh knickers, iPhone, charger & extension cord.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

sevencats
on 8/3/12 12:15 pm
Stuffed toys are recommended for hospital stays.  Really.

If you're going to have an IV in for any length of time, it gets uncomfortable if you can't rest your hand/arm on something.  Pillows are too high to give much relief.  But a small stuffed animal is just the right size.

Haven't had my WLS yet, but had a hysterectomy a couple years ago, and got that recommendation.  It really helps!
Alexis K.
on 8/3/12 1:24 pm
VSG on 07/30/12
I had my surgery on Monday and I can honestly tell you the only things I took out of my bag were my phone, charger, toothbrush, and stuffed frog (funny I never slept with animals as a kid, but I have since I was 18! "legs" is an old man now at 11!) Don't overpack- you really won't need much!

Most Active
Recent Topics