Hot Dogs

JennieV
on 7/4/12 2:08 am
VSG on 06/25/12
Anyone try hot dogs shortly after surgery? My husband and I agreed that I could try just a plain cut up hot dog today, since it's a holiday and we are going to a BBQ. Just wondering if anyone had any problems with tolerating a hot dog.
Could_It_Be
on 7/4/12 2:11 am
 Cased meat was specifically listed as a NO on my early post op plan from the doctor/NUT. I think it is probably because of the high fat, low 'good stuff' ratio as well as the denseness and casing?? 

I have had a bite or two of sausage since my surgery (like 9+ months out) and it didn't settle so well for me.

*shrug*

What about some higher quality grilled meat? Chicken or steak? Heck even fish is great grilled!!

:)

VSG on 6/22/11
RidgebackMom
on 7/4/12 2:12 am - Oxnard, CA
VSG on 05/14/12
 I did the Ball Park white meat turkey (45 cal).  I cut it up very finely and chew to a pulp.....
Highest weight 395#. Surgery weight 325#. VSG on May 14, 2012 with Dr. Amir H. Mehran at UCLA.     Life & challenges are what we make them -- this new beginning is what I make it!

RidgebackMom
on 7/4/12 2:14 am - Oxnard, CA
VSG on 05/14/12
 I just checked your surgery date.  You may want to reconsider this soon after surgery.... It's not worth the risk.
Highest weight 395#. Surgery weight 325#. VSG on May 14, 2012 with Dr. Amir H. Mehran at UCLA.     Life & challenges are what we make them -- this new beginning is what I make it!

Jenfur
on 7/4/12 2:15 am
VSG on 06/25/12
Forgive me if I sound harsh but isn't that the exact mentality and rationalizations that led us to getting so fat we needed surgery? Not only that, depending on how far out you are, it could make you very sick or worse. What do you want more,a long healthy life or a piece of a hotdog that you'll be regretting later anyways. How far out from surgery are you?

Diana M.
on 7/4/12 2:17 am - TX
VSG on 07/12/12
 Is it on your plan?  Is it approved by your doctor?  Regardless of what your husband thinks, unless he has a medical degree and is your surgeon....

Anyway, just a thought.....you had your stomach cut out...you do what you think is best here.
Jenfur
on 7/4/12 2:19 am
VSG on 06/25/12
Just saw we were sleeved the same day, you should be on full liquids or at the most......mushies so no, do not risk it. I couldn't even imagine trying that this soon out. Hubby grilled dogs for lunch and I ate my cream of wheat and tonight they are having breakfast and I will have Brits. You need to educate hour husband on just what can happen if you eat the wrong stuff right now so that when you go to him to validate what you want to do, he will know if you should or not.

JennieV
on 7/4/12 2:22 am
VSG on 06/25/12
I appreciate your feedback. I wondered if it was too soon to try a hot dog. There's nothing specificially stating I can't have them, but I wasn't sure if I should.
And yes, I thought as I typed "since it's a holiday" that I was making an excuse. I actually appreciate you guys keeping me accountable. I will pack a Muscle Milk and yogurt to take with me.

ps- my husband does have a medical degree.
Jenfur
on 7/4/12 2:25 am
VSG on 06/25/12

Could_It_Be
on 7/4/12 2:31 am
 There will be plenty of time for weenies in the future!

VSG on 6/22/11
Most Active