Anyone traveled to Belize?

Believinginlsa
on 5/21/12 11:47 am
 Husband and I had surgery Feb. 1. He has lost almost 90 and me 60. Have the opportunity to go to Belize to be witnesses for our niece's wedding. Any information on hotels, restaurants, islands, fishing etc. would be most appreciated. Trip would be in July.
TNERNURSE
on 5/21/12 12:27 pm

Have wanted to go to Belize for along time. Maybe someday I will get there. I use trip advisor website for travel information. Has reviews for hotels, restaurants and activities. Have a great time! 

Ulysses
on 5/21/12 12:36 pm

I have been to Belize several times. I played in a jazz combo on a cruise line that went to Belize City once every ten days. I also stayed a week on Ambergris Caye for a friends wedding.
Belize City is honestly a real ****hole. The locals are mostly swindlers and tourist predators. It is very similar to Jamaica - the locals are really out to prey on tourists. Check out this link from Lonely Planet on crime in Belize City:
www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa

You really need to get out to the Cayes (islands) for a good experience. Ambergris has a golf cart only rule so there is no traffic and is very quiet. The locals will jump on and hitch free rides, but the whole vibe of the outer cayes is very laid back. Snorkeling, scuba, fishing and other great things to do are easy to find; either by charter and hotels, or simply by hooking up with the locals.

Good luck and have a great time. Just remember that in the city you have to be very travel savvy and NEVER walk around at night...

Jason
VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

Believinginlsa
on 5/22/12 10:11 am
 Thanks Jason. If you wanted to charter a fishing trip and go to some ruins, have a clean hotel with air conditioning but not pay an arm and a leg, where would you go? Where have you stayed?
iAndy4G
on 5/22/12 1:13 am
VSG on 03/01/12 with
I have an office in Belize and a corporate apartment that I send and least 3 months a year at off and on. We employ 25 people there in a small office off Northern Highway.

Belize is actually a very vague term. Where exactly are you staying I'm guessing out in the Cayes? The differences are vast it's like the difference between Guatamala and Honolulu depending where you're staying. 

Belize City (mainland) is actually very safe much safer than all of central america and mexico. I NEVER have anyone ask me for money or feel unsafe (I am white as white can be and look like a tourist, not creole LOL). The mainland is a very depressed country and dirty but the people are very nice and english is the official language. Average salary is about $4-6usd an hour for someone with a college degree. Belize is a former British Protectorate so the culture is the same for the most part

There is really only two hotels in Belize City.. the Best Western (Biltmore) and the Radisson. To the person that said they prey on tourists it could not be further from the truth unless maybe you're right around the dock for the cruise ships which is an area I never go to.

So with some more information about where you're staying I'd be happy to help you.  San Pedro and Caye Caulker are my two favorite cayes. I have an in-country facilitator as well that works for me that I can reach out too if you need more information from a "local"
Believinginlsa
on 5/22/12 10:03 am
 Hi Andy4G, your help would be so appreciated. Niece is wanting to get married there. Not fancy by any means but nice. It will just be the bride, groom, my husband and me. The information we have is it takes 5 days to get a license and marry.  I would love to know from a local if that 5 day waiting period is standard or can it easily take longer. She is looking on line now for wedding packages.
The Cayes for sure but not knowing much so hard to judge which one. Husband and I want to charter  a fishing trip while the newlyweds are busy. We also want to maybe see some Mayan ruins, art galleries, sample local cuisine...lots of fresh fish yum! Stroll the beach, look for shells, shop. Big on fishing experience. Do not know what kind except we do not want to fly fish so...
.Laid back but nice wedding venue??? Options for different Cayes?
Best Cayes for fishing, eating, ruins and beach.
We are flying from KC to Houston and then into Belize City. How do we travel from airport to Cayes?
I know very little, just what I am reading online. So, is it the rainy season mid July? Will want air conditioning in the hotel for good sleeping. It will be HOT! If this were your one time only visiting and love to experience local flavor, what would you suggest?
On a different topic, when did you have your surgery and how are you doing?
Believinginlsa
on 5/22/12 10:07 am
 I think niece is thinking bare bones civil wedding ceremony....
Most Active
Recent Topics