Which way to go?

zeke
on 4/23/12 3:11 pm - Dunlap, TN
I have appointments!  May 2 the better half and I will attend the seminar for the different surgeries.  May 8th we will be meeting with the surgeon for the first time.  I'm sure the surgeon will fill me in on the different options but I'm curious as to why you guys chose VSG over the Y Procedure  or any of the other procedures.
melz1974
on 4/23/12 4:06 pm
VSG on 07/10/12
Hey Zeke!  Welcome to OH! 

I haven't been sleeved yet.  I'm about 1/2 way through my 3 month multi-disciplinary diet & exercise program.  At the seminar, I was going to go for Lap Band procedure but wasn't completely sold on it.  So I waited and come January 1st, the sleeve was covered by my insurance.  So I started all over again. 

I chose the sleeve because I didn't like the dumping that R&Y is known to cause.  (I have a few friends that have had it and they tell me they "rent their food").  I like that if the sleeve alone doesn't get me to where I want to be, I can have a secondary procedure to help me reach my goal.  I like that it's all done laproscopically and that the portion of the stomach that secretes the hormones that make you think you're hungry is removed.  Those are the reasons that sold me on the procedure. 

momsy55
on 4/23/12 10:46 pm - ME
Hi Zeke!  I chose the sleeve over the RNY for a number of reasons, and I have also since learned more about the sleeve, that supports my decision, including:

-no dumping
-no re-routing - my stomach is lots smaller, but normally functioning
-no malabsorption
-if needed, I can take NSAIDS (baby aspirin, ibuprophen, etc.) and steroids, which
 you can't with RNY
-fewer complications
-some of the research is starting to show that the sleeve may have better long
 term success than RNY due to the preservation of the pyloric valve
-the part of the stomach that remains after is the part that stretches the least

Good luck with whatever you decide!  Mary

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

HowieG
on 4/24/12 6:24 am
VSG on 03/28/12
I concur with a lot that has been said. Bottom line, you insides remain as they are, only the stomach is made smaller. Less complications, no problems absorbing foods ett
Good Luck
To infinity and beyond - I have an ongoing blog Pre -> Post - Feel free to drop in 
                                  http://howiegordonadaped.blogspot.com/ 

Most Active
Recent Topics