Chewing gum?

4evercaligrl
on 4/12/12 4:36 am
 Please say its ok!!
Im 2 weeks out and I need gum!

bedazzle
on 4/12/12 4:50 am
VSG on 04/26/12
I haven't had my surgery yet (4/26/2012) but the RD I saw indicated it may cause an excessive amount of saliva and nausea...be careful.

Faye56
on 4/12/12 4:54 am
VSG on 07/19/11 with
The PA at my Dr.'s office said it was ok but I have read other post on here where the Dr. said no to gum. Call your surgeron's office and just ask. I did not have gum until about 6 months post op though.

"Encourage instead of criticize.  Love instead of hate.  Hope instead of doubt. Give instead of take.  Trust instead of worry.  We open our hearts to others so that they will be prompted to open their hearts to God"  Lucy Swindoll

Mike B.
on 4/12/12 7:11 am
All through the classes I had to take and even by my doctor, I was told by everyone NO GUM. With you only 2 weeks out, your stomach is still healing and you don't want to accidentally swallow your gum and get it stuck. That would cause more issues than what its worth. I was one of those people who chewed gum all the time before surgery, but I figured my doctor knew more about the potential problems swallowing gum would have on my body, so why even try it. I would suggest buying some gummie vitamins, that might help with the craving to chew gum.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

Debra P.
on 4/12/12 7:22 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 NOPE... my DR. said NO GUM.

btopping
on 4/12/12 7:35 am - OH
I was told that gum a hard candy were a no no because they produced saliva which in turn would keep your mouth lubricated and then you would not drink enough water during the times you need it most.

julesGA
on 4/12/12 10:49 am - Brunswick, GA
I'm not telling you to do it..I will just say I chewed gum and had no problems,  Of course, I didn't swallow it.