9 days out...is this normal?

4evercaligrl
on 4/8/12 5:10 pm
 Hey everyone,
I am 9 days out and was just cleared for puréed soups after day 7. After having some soup, I felt a horrible spasm like pain that started in my stomach and went to both shoulders.  The pain went on for about 5-10 min where it would spasm, feel horrible and then go away.  I immediately stopped the soup and went back to liquids, but when I woke up this morning, the thickest thing I could drink was milk and water. When I tried a protein shake, the spasms would happen again.  Has this ever happened to anyone? Any idea why?

kayshyna
on 4/8/12 5:38 pm - LA
sounds like gas but if i were you i would call my dr.

i hope you feel better soon

Ms. Poker Face
on 4/8/12 8:59 pm
It sounds like you have irritated your sleeve.  The pureed soups may have been too much for it, you still have internal swelling... and you may now have increased your internal swelling (can happen easily from taking too big of a sip or a bite, etc).  Go back to thin liquids for a few days until things settle down, then slowly start adding in thicker liquids before you go back to purees.  

I was cleared for pureed foods at 2 weeks post op and I had to go slow too.  Some stuff just didn't feel right, so I kept doing part liquids, part pureed for weeks 3 and 4.  I still do a protein shake almost every day at almost 10 months out to help me get my protein in without eating too much and feeling icky.

It's ok to go slower than the doc advances you.  Keep us posted on how you do.  If you have pain or spasms on the thinnest liquids (like water), call your doc.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Regina T.
on 4/9/12 2:37 am - Snohomish, WA
VSG on 03/19/12
 My doc explained that spasms were part of the healing process since the stomach is very much like a muscle.  She prescribed an ati-spasm and anti-nausea medication called hycosamine for this very thing.  I havent had to take it since the first week, but you may still need to as everyone is different.  My surgery was three weeks ago today, and I feel occasional spasming when I drink very cold liquids.  It's not very painful or nauseating for me now.  Also, It could be the temperature of the soup that is triggering the spasms, so try varying the temp to see if that makes a difference. 
Good luck!

Regina.  Ready to live again.

4evercaligrl
on 4/9/12 2:47 am
 Thanks everyone!

Most Active
Recent Topics