If you can't stand the taste of protein powder!

4evercaligrl
on 4/5/12 10:18 am
 So, protein powder taste makes me want to gag.  I have been experimenting to see if there is anything else I can do and discovered Greek yogurt.  If you use it in your shake instead of protein powder and then add whatever else you usually like to put in the shake (fruit, chocolate, peanut butter etc) it has an awesome frozen yogurt tase to it.  I had to add Splenda because it's a bit sour.  I also froze mine to see if it really tastes like soft serve yogurt.  Anyways, I am hoping this will make a huge difference in my life so I thought I would share. it also comes out with an awesome creamy texture and doesn't need any ice.

P.s. FF Greek yogurt had 150 cal for 25 grams of protein.  You can use a little less if you don't need that much protein and want to save calories.

Enjoy!!!

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/12 10:48 am - Raleigh, NC
VSG on 06/27/12
Im right there with you, try ISOpure from GNC it.s my fav
Jackie
calculady
on 4/5/12 10:52 am
VSG on 04/03/12
 Thanks I will try that. I didn't realize it had that much protein.

4evercaligrl
on 4/5/12 11:07 am
 It's got to be the fat free, original with no added flavoring

diane S.
on 4/5/12 12:27 pm
you can mix a little protein powder into your gy shake to up the protein and the gy masks the taste. also extra coco powder in choc protein shakes helps improve them as does cinnamon.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

AnnMarie
on 4/5/12 12:34 pm
VSG on 04/10/12
Does the stuff you add in cover the taste? I tried Greek yogurt once and found the taste really strong and unappealing. But I like those numbers for it! Sounds like a really good find for you!

AnnMarie  vsg 4/10/12 Age: 41, Height: 5'2ish
       Banded '04 PreOp BMI 64, PreOp for VSG: BMI 55, SW BMI: 50 

poizynivy
on 4/6/12 11:33 am - LA
I hated the taste of protein...no matter the flavor. 
The one thing that worked for me was whichever flavor protein powder I was using I would add 1 tablespoon of sugar free instant pudding mix(dry) in whatever flavor I desired at the time.
It turned the texture into something I could handle and the protein flavor went away.
Also, If anyone is interested I also created my own protein pudding using REAL pudding mix and Protein Powders... Using skim milk, it packed a high protein punch and was a great tasting alternative to the usual protein nastiness;-)
emelar
on 4/6/12 11:40 am - TX
Greek yogurt is great, but you really have to work the flavorings to get it to taste good.  Plain, it's a terrific substitute for sour cream.  You can make all sorts of veggie dips out of it as well.

To make it sweet, you have to experiment.  I end up putting several packets of stevia in it along with SF preserves, fresh fruit, SF chocolate syrup, honey, etc (not all at the same time!).  Banana works really, really well to cut the tartness of the GY.
laurak712
on 4/6/12 12:55 pm - New Braunfels, TX
GY is great but I still can't eat that much...even at over 3 years post op.  Only 1/2 cup at a time.  But it is yummy!

Laura

Height 5' 7

Most Active
Recent Topics