NUT has me sooo confused!

Hope Y.
on 3/13/12 4:57 am - Harrison, MI
VSG on 01/23/12
Who to believe - surgeon and nurse practitioner or nutritionist?

My surgeon and his nurse practitioner have given very good, solid advice/requirements that seem to line up with most of the plans on here:  Minimum 80 g protein/day, 600-800 calories, protein-dense foot first and carbs < 40-50 grams.

I emailed the nutritionist in their office with a question about sugar alcohols.  She responded with a lot of info but said I should be aiming for 1,000-1,500 calories/day, 100 grams carbs, and minimum 80 grams protein - hello, confusion!

She said I should follow the pre-op eating plan, the one their office requires patients to go on 2 weeks prior to surgery.  Is it just me or is this waaaaay too many calories and carbs?  She says as long as I'm losing 1-2 pounds per week, I'm in good shape - um, no, that's what I'd expect on a "normal" diet plan, not my post op results!

I'm just very confused and frustrated.  This is the second time that she has directly contradicted them and I don't know what my next step should be.  She said she's going to turn my email/questions into a newsletter that she sends to all of us once a month...so now I feel everyone will be getting contradictory information!

Sleeved - 1/23/12       Starting weight - 331                  Current weight - 195  

(deactivated member)
on 3/13/12 5:03 am, edited 3/13/12 5:04 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Yea, this is where a lot of folks get comfuzzled and cannot come to an agreement either. *shrug*

All I know is what worked *for me* which was the plan given to you by your surgeon/NP.

I am, quite honestly, thankful that I did not have to answer back to anyone, be checked in on by anyone, be held to anything by anyone else but ME, so I did not have a nutritionist to confuse me, or a doctor's standards that might have been high enough for me to doubt I was doing very well.

So.. I dunno, my love.  I do not think you are going to get a huge yea or nay, since there are so many of us and we all do things a bit differently.

But here is what I *also* know about me, its easier for me to get used to lower cals and THEN bump them up, than it is for me to get used to higher cals, and THEN bump them down, especially if a lot of those calories were carbycals.

But at the very beginning, you will not be able to eat the 1000 to 1500 calories per day *anyway*

Maybe let your surgeon/np know that all of their team  members are not on the same page, just in the interest of less confusion all the way around? 
loverofcats
on 3/13/12 5:04 am
Follow your surgeon's and NP's advice. Your NUT gave you a plan for maintenance.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

rhearob
on 3/13/12 5:05 am - TN
 1000-1500 is what I'd expect at a maintenance diet.  Does the NUT work in the surgeons office or is he independednt?  It could be that they aren't communicating.  Forward the e-mail to your surgeon (copying the NUT) and ask him to make sure they agree because the difference in messages is confusing.

Id follow the surgeons advice if it were me.  Thats just my $.02.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

califsleevin
on 3/13/12 6:34 am - CA
Generally, I would go with the surgeon or NP - if the NUT is on their staff, you should talk to them about having everyone on the same page - her numbers are more on the order of what a RNY or DS would want, though many of them have jumped onto the low carb bandwagon as well and would go lower than her suggestion. I worked a program very similar to her suggestion (around 1000-1100/80carb/100protein at the point that you are now,) and it worked well for me - but I started as a relative lightweight (BMI 42ish) with guy metabolism and a fairly muscular build to feed and maintain during the loss.

Conservatism dictates that one should start on the low side on the calories and work up from there if needed - not everyone works well with the low carb game and it isn't essential for weight loss, but it's a lot easier to add more calories/carbs/fats as you proceed and are experiencing a good weight loss rate than to cut back if you are going too slow or stop too early.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Hope Y.
on 3/13/12 7:06 am - Harrison, MI
VSG on 01/23/12
Thank you all for your thoughts and wisdom :)

The Nut does work in their office so I was seriously thinking of alerting them to the discussion, just so they know things are being confused.  This is the second or third time she has contradicted them, so I don't think it's the most professional situation.

I haven't been doing anywhere near 100 g carbs/day and agree - it will be way easier to slowly inch them up then to do that now and have to drop them back!  Just reading the email, everything seemed so HIGH!!  I was like, "Holy crap, I can barely get in 500 calories a day right now, let alone 1500!"

Again, thanks again for the words of wisdom and the verification that I'm not losing my mind :)

Sleeved - 1/23/12       Starting weight - 331                  Current weight - 195  

(deactivated member)
on 3/13/12 7:19 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
When I was in management, my directive to anyone was that if multiple people were giving conflicting information, we NEEDED someone to say something, so we could get on the same page. 

It happens, in life, at home, at the office, with our vendors, blahblah.  It just is helpful when someone has insight to let people *who can change the situation* know! 

And sad to say, you may well be losing your  mind :} but not about this. 
Michelle H.
(Rainbomama)

on 3/13/12 7:35 am - LA
VSG on 02/27/12
"This is the second time that she has directly contradicted them and I don't know what my next step should be."

First step, in my opinion, is to contact the surgeon and/or NP and alert them that she'd giving direct contradictory advice to their patients and causing great confusion. Secondly, I'd follow my surgeon and NP's advice over a nutritionists advice.
Lisa J.
on 3/13/12 7:37 am - OK
Oh yes my nut and surgeon WERE in the same office and after commenting a time or two, gave it up. As long as I was losing weight preop that's all that really mattered in the long run, to me. I am of the belief that NO office anywhere in any type of business has 100% communication....so I just tend to fill in the blanks as they seem fit to me. Fortunately it worked.

We never talked about sugar alcohols....I simply cut it down to basics and didn't consume anything (to my knowledge) that had it. 60gm max protein per day in preop is all I remember. Less than 1000 cals  a day for sure, didn't count fat or anything else.
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
Jamie_45
on 3/13/12 8:24 am - CA
VSG on 01/09/12

I was sleeved 2 weeks before you and there is NO way I could eat that many calories unless I was eating biscuits and gravy and fried potatoes!  Perish the thought... Anyway, when I saw my Doc 2 weeks ago he was upset with me as I was only eating 450 calories/day.  He said I needed 700-800 per day of course mostly protein.  I still have trouble with that and am lucky to get to 650, but I feel good and everything seems to be progressing normally.  I would listen to your Doc and his nurse and maybe discuss the situation with him next time you see him.  As far as weight loss rate, I am considered a "lightweight" as I started at 232/216 approval weight and am now only losing 1-1/2 to 2 lbs per week and am completely happy with that.  I will still get to goal by August and I know I could not have done that on my own and kept it off!  Sorry for your confusion and hope you get some resolve soon.

Most Active
Recent Topics