Getting prego after the sleeve?

4evercaligrl
on 3/11/12 5:18 pm
 Hey everyone!
I am having my revision from band to sleeve in a couple of weeks.  I am so excited but I'm wondering if anyone got pregnant after having this surgery and if there are any problems with getting the nutrients needed for the baby to grow and thrive? Also, was there a lot of weight gain with the pregnancy? If so, how did you lose it after? 

Thanks!

tsupulver
on 3/12/12 1:51 am
VBG on 06/18/10 with
One of the great things about losing the weight is that it is easier to get prego. I have a friend that has had two little ones since she had her surgery and lost the weight. I myself am to old to have to worry about that 42 but there is a forum for prego issues here on OH and they could answer more of your questions. Good luck on your weight loss and upcoming family!

USAF Wife
on 3/12/12 3:56 am
I'm in my 2nd post-VSG pregnancy. I'm over 2.5 years out at this point. I was cleared for TTC at 8 months post-op. We tried unsuccessful for a solid year to get pregnant. I endured 2 chemical pregnancies during that year. Then, last October I delivered a gorgeous, healthy, full term daughter, and I'm 9 weeks pregnant again.

To answer your specific questions: No it is not difficult to eat enough to support the baby. The main concern is that you need to be able to eat enough to support the baby AND your body. The baby will steal everything from your body. Once you are in maintenance and able to consume more varieties of food, your maintnenance calories will need to be increased by just 200-300 more calories per day. For maintenance weight, I ate 1400-1600 calories, for pregnancy, I was instructed to eat 1700-1800 calories per day, 100gr of protein 100gr of carbs, 96oz of water/clear fluids.

I gained 35lbs in the pregnancy which is perfectly normal for a woman my age, my starting BMI and starting weight. I probably would have only gained 25lbs but I have other medical issues that require I take a steroid for the last month of pregnancy, and the weight piled on super fast at the end. I dropped 23-25lbs the first 4-5 weeks post delivery.

I was breastfeeding during that time so that helped with the losing, but honestly, I was eating more because I was nursing. I had to stop nursing because Tatum is lactose and protein intolerant and is on formula since that time. I started going back to low carbs, working out and lost a measly 2lbs and was having a difficult time trying to figure out what was going on. Come to find out, I was pregnant again. 
VSG did not complicate my pregnancy in any way. I was NOT high risk because of VSG.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Allie A.
on 3/12/12 6:00 am - Canada
I had my surgery a month ago. My surgeon made me swear up and down I would not get pregnant the first year after surgery. That was not a problem for me,cuz I'm on other medication that causes fetal heart defects.
Most Active
Recent Topics