VGS & Hypothyroid

mjtierra
on 3/1/12 8:28 am - CA
VSG on 03/08/12
I was just wondering if there are any sleevers out there who have a hypothyroid? If so, have you still been as successful as you have wanted to be post surgery? Or has it been a little more challenging? Or is there no difference be cause it's all about your eating & exercise plans.

My surgery date is next Thursday, March 8th, and I just am wondering if it's something to expect?

Thank you so much in advance for your input

newme2011-2012
on 3/1/12 8:32 am
I am hypo and have lost 44pounds in less then 4 months.
Mine is treated with meds also.
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

Could_It_Be
on 3/1/12 8:34 am
 If your hypothyroid is being managed, I don't see how it would make a difference. Maybe if you have very low levels and your meds aren't correct?

I have not noticed anything different but my levels are considered normal with my synthroid.

There are quite a few restrictions you need to follow with the meds (nothing to eat or drink within some time of taking the meds, same with taking iron, etc).

You will do great, don't create doubt in your mind that you will succeed!

VSG on 6/22/11
Healthier2011
on 3/1/12 8:52 am
Like the others asked?  Is it managed with meds? 

I don't have a thyroid and am therefore on meds.  I had no problems losing at all!!!  I lost to goal by 8 months. 

I will suggest, if you are on meds have your thyroid levels checked often.  I had to have my dosage changed VERY often because of the weight loss and you  definately don't want to be on too high dose as it can cause LOTS of serious medical problems.  One of my indicators of too much medication is being cold all the time, dizziness and feeling shakey.

mjtierra
on 3/1/12 8:58 am - CA
VSG on 03/08/12
Thank you all for your quick responses. I am on meds and have been for about 6 years now. I have myself regularly tested and my PCP is on top of it. I'm not really that worried about it, it was just something that I hadn't seen talked about on this website and it just popped into my head as I was doing my daily forum reading..

Thanks again. Just gotta love this website

Could_It_Be
on 3/1/12 8:59 am
 You got this lady!! And you're super lucky to have a good PCP who is on the ball :)

VSG on 6/22/11
Krazydoglady
on 3/1/12 11:18 am - FL
I have no thyroid function following Radioiodine treatments for Graves' Disease almost 20 years aog, and I'm on a complete replacement dose of Levoxyl.  I had no problems losing on the basic 'sleeve' plan, and I work out 5-7 days a week.

Just as an FYI, You need to make sure your levels are carefully monitored by an endocrinologist and that full panels are run not just TSH.  I started having low free T3 levels with high T4 levels around the holidays, effectively "Euthyroid sick syndrome." That also pushed my iron down which in turn impedes conversion ot T3 to T4 causing, basically, a bad 'loop.'  My PCP didn't know what to do and punted.  I'm on a lower dose of Levoxyl and will probably start a T3 supplement in a couple of weeks if things don't normalize.  I'm also on a big iron supplement for three months.

Things to keep in mind:

If you take iron, don't take it close to your levothyroxine.  Thyroxine interferes with iron absorption.
Keep an eye on your body temp, pulse, and BP. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

laurahuff65
on 3/2/12 7:48 am
 Hello, I am also hypo, for 7 yrs now. I was on 150mcg synthroid and after the weight loss they reduced it to 125mcg. I've lost 53lbs in 5 months and I think its pretty impressive being hypo! You will lose weight, not to worry! Good luck!

mjtierra
on 3/2/12 8:21 am - CA
VSG on 03/08/12
Yay!! I love the feedback on this website!. I'm on 125 mcg now so maybe, just maybe my dosage will go down too.

Anyhoo... I'm still excited..

Thanks

Most Active
Recent Topics